Impossible Dream

*34th and Wilson, Southeast Corner*

Ana was standing next to Hank who was crouched near the corpse of an elderly looking African American male. Kevin closed the body bag it was laying in and stood up with the male Sergeant.

"You knew him?" The brunette guessed, having watched him carefully the entire time.

"You know, Englewood was my first beat. Me and Mr. Roy hit it off from the jump. He was real good people, Sarge." The Officer shook his head and the older man grunted in reply. "He cared about his family, the community."

"Okay." Hank nodded and Adam took his place, moving the body with the help of a patrolman.

The two Sergeants and Kevin made their way out of the store, where the remaining three members of the Intelligence Unit were waiting.

"So what are we thinking? Armed robbery?" Ana wondered.

"The register was cleared out, but his wallet was still on him." Jay replied.

"The M.E. said there was fresh contusions and abrasion on Roy's face." Kim recalled. "He was beaten and shot at close range."

"Oh, yeah. This was personal." Hank muttered, glancing at his left just as the body was wheeled out and over to an awaiting ambulance. "All right, what do we know about the offender?"

"I didn't get a good look at all. 5'10, 170. Masked up. Ruzek said he was fast as Hell." Kevin listed.

"Any surveillance?" Ana wondered, adjusting her mask a bit.

"No security cameras inside, Sarge." Hailey reported.

"I told him to put those things in years ago." The dark skinned Officer sighed. "He didn't like the message they sent."

The two Sergeants shared a look.

"Well, let's get him the justice he deserves." Hank commanded.

"Yes, check PODs and talk to witnesses." Ana ordered.

"Hit the streets hard." The older man finished. "All right, let's go."

Everyone dispersed to do their jobs and Hank was about to walk off with his wife in tow when-

"Sergeant!" The Deputy Superintendent called.

The brunette instantly turned on her heel and went in the direction she remembered seeing the two Detectives head towards.

*District 21: Bullpen*

"My CI told me that Quincy Barrett runs that neighborhood." Kevin informed, gesturing to where his picture was taped up to the center of the whiteboard. "He's got a strong sheet. Distro, agg assault, armed robbery, intimidation."

"Whose flag does he fly?" Hank inquired from his usual spot next to Ana's desk.

"Nobody's. He's a lone wolf. From what I understand, he recruits unaffiliated kids to deal dope and shake down good business owners for protection money." The dark skinned Officer explained.

"All right. Is anybody talking?" Ana wondered, leaning back in her chair.

"No one so far." Adam replied from his desk.

"But it's pretty clear that pizza guy is getting harassed or saw something." Kim added from hers. " He just doesn't want to get involved."

"Well, we also know Roy was getting harassed." Hailey chimed in, standing up and joining Kevin at the board. "OCD Lab dumped his phone, and he's been getting threatening text messages for about a month from a burner. These are the most recent. Two weeks ago, 'Tick tock, old man.' Last week, 'Time to pay.' And yesterday, 'My gun's untucked.' All the messages are coming within the vicinity of the hardware store. And after Roy's murder, the phone was turned off." She reported.