Signs of Violence

*Possible Crime Scene*

"Clarton home, husband Ray, wife Helen, daughter Becca. Talked to the rest of the block. No one's seen them in at least two days." Hailey explained she led her partner and two Sergeants throughout a large house.

"And that's odd?" Hank inquired.

"To our neighbor, Jessica, yeah." The blonde nodded, stopping near the staircase and turning to face the other three cops. "They were homebodies. She said she just spoke with Helen to get together the next day. She called both their cells. No one's answering."

"Checked the phones, and they're shut off." Jay added.

"And her car's in the garage." Adam spoke up, having appeared at the bottom of the stairs while they were talking. "There's cardboard boxes upstairs. Empty suitcases. They might've been packing."

The two Voights shared a look but the front door creaked open before anyone could say anything else.

"Hey. Got something weird." Kim stuck her head in and gestured for them to follow her outside.

They did and a nearby patrolman held up a strip of yellow tape as the members of the Intelligence Unit made their way over to a police cruiser which had a laptop sitting on its trunk.

"So I ran the name and social the landlord gave me, Ray Clarton. Problem is, Ray Clarton died four years ago." The female Officer revealed.

"He's using a false name?" Jay guessed.

"Yeah, on everything. Utilities for the house, credit card, car, all registered to a dead man." Kim listed.

"Okay, well, what about the wife?" Ana wondered.

"She's not on paper anywhere, and I got no hits on a Helen Clarton in Chicago matching her descriptors." The female Officer replied.

"The little girl, Becca, she's 12. She must be in school." Hailey pointed out.

"She's not. Not registered with CPS. Not in a private school. Ran missing persons too, and I got nothing." Kim shook her head.

"So dig into the name, Ray Clarton, and see who had access to steal his identity." Hank ordered. "Let's do a full forensics search. Let's find out who the Hell this family really is."

"And what the Hell happened in this house?" Ana muttered, turning to gaze up at the seemingly abandoned building.

*District 21: Bullpen*

"All right, what do we got?" Hank demanded, coming out of his Office and stopping next to his wife.

"Forensics came back. Blood in the master is two days old and belongs to a female." Kim reported, reading aloud from an iPad as she sat down at her desk. "DNA doesn't match anything on file, but the tech said as long as the blood came from an adult, the amount of blood is not enough to positively indicate a death."

Adam suddenly walked in from the Interrogation Area with a file in hand.

"Fingerprints off all the men's shoes in the Clarton house ID'd Ray's real name. Meet Ray Aimes." He introduced, heading over and taping his photo to the whiteboard. "He's got a ell of a sheet. Lived in different states the past years, multiple fraud investigations, two domestics when he was younger. Looks like he mostly deals in Ponzi and pyramid schemes."

"He's a grifter." Jay supplied, crossing his arms.

"He's an old school conman. He gets in close with people, manipulates the hell out of them, robs them blind, and then he skips town." The male Officer elaborated.