In Your Care

*District 21: Bullpen*

"Caught a strange one." Hank remarked as he and Ana followed Adam up the stairs.

"The only witness was the guy that called it in." The Officer reported.

"And the victim?" The brunette wondered, lowering her mask.

"Blood tox came back negative for drugs and alcohol." Adam replied. "The guy's still unconscious but Med's gonna contact as soon as we can question him."

"Okay, so what do we think happened?" Hank inquired while following his wife over to her desk.

"Well, right now, we're betting on a failed carjacking." Kevin informed, joining Jay over at the whiteboard. "Been a 40% increase in carjackings in that neighborhood this month alone. Perfect territory. There's a through line from downtown, usually pretty void of pedestrians, meaning there's a Hell of a lot of high-end vehicles on a quiet street." He explained.

"The victim was driving a $90,000 BMW, and there was evidence of a beating inside and outside the car, so they pulled him out." The male Detective added, quietly.

"So a new, young crew tries to jack Jeff's car, things go wrong, maybe Jeff fights back or the kids get spooked. Crew takes off, hop in their buddy's car and Jeff tries to drive away." Hailey speculated from her desk.

"We got a hit on the offender's car." Kim spoke up, walking in from the Interrogation Area and handing Kevin a picture which he then taped to the board. "Gray SUV was clocked on PODs two blocks away."

"Nice. You get an angle on the windows?" Adam wondered.

"Can't see inside or see plates, but I ran the car through our HOT file. Gray SUV was reported stolen two months ago by a Jessica Ramirez." The female Officer revealed. "Now, the kicker? Jessica works at a DCFS center with kids aging out of the system. Teenagers."

"Okay, that's good." Ana nodded with a smile.

"Why don't you guys check it out?" Hank suggested/ordered before turning and heading into his Office.

*Crime Scene: Nighttime*

While out investigating, the Team was called into what seemed to be another carjacking. So, of course, the two Sergeants were brought into the loop as well.

"Medics took the victim to Chicago Med. Had signs of a massive heart attack. His name's Troy Wrightman, 62 years old. This is his car. Married, no children, no priors." Hailey listed. "Um, the kids that we saw fleeing, looks like they were three males and a female."

"Ruzek's talking to a witness. Says he saw two kids rush the car." Jay spoke up, appearing beside his partner.

"Two? What happened to the third?" Kevin inquired from Ana's right.

"Don't know. Says he saw two." The male Detective shrugged, furrowing his brows. "Here's what's weird. The kids ran off, they opened the doors, they ripped the victim out, they beat him, and then they took off running."

"So, what, you guys got here and scared 'em before they can actually take the car?" The Officer wondered.

"I don't think so." Jay shook his head. "We got here right as the SUV was about to hit the alley. Seemed like a getaway car."

"You don't need a getaway car for a carjacking." Hank pointed out.

"No." The male Detective agreed.

"Guy's pockets were rabbited. No wallet. Maybe we're looking at a robbery crew." Hailey speculated.

"Hell of a lot of trouble for a wallet." Kevin retorted, gently.

"Yeah. I don't know." The blonde sighed.