15. The Night of Fate

My whole body feels weak remembering the past events. And although therapy helped so much, these memories still make me feel so helpless.

I went downstairs with Porsche walking alongside me, his arm around my shoulder.

Everyone was busy preparing for the anniversary like it was now a happy event worth celebrating and remembering.

Thinking about it now, I still would do the same if I were in the situation. Still, I wish things could have turned out differently for us.

I stare at the big photo one of the bodyguards was carrying.

Rest in peace and I'm sorry.

I'm sorry, Khun Korn.

-FLASHBACK

As the image clears up in my almost lucid state I recognize the image of the man holding a gun against Vegas' head. 

Khun Korn, why?

The man laughs wickedly. The laugh that would haunt you in your sleep.

"What more do you want from me?" Vegas asked

"I want you and Macau gone."

"I don't even want to compete anymore. I just..."

"You just want to live with Pete?" Khun Korn chuckled again..

"If that's true, where's Macau?" Khun Korn asked. "You're saying he's sick? I know you snuck him somewhere outside the country you SLY ASSHOLE. "

"He's sick so he can't come. I've told you this. He's sick---of your bullshit!"

Vegas let out a chuckle, psychotic but as crazy as he is, I still feel so scared for him. 

"This...this is how you make the competition give up." Khun Korn walked up to me "Pete, watch"

Khun Korn lifted my head and I see him pointing a gun at Vegas' head and Vegas' psychotic expression leaves his face

"S-top..." I said in a muffled voice. There were so many bodyguards around him. This is an impossible mission but I still plead.

"Vegas, you saw this coming, didn't you? You know it would end badly for you but  you went to the enemy's lair. Like a stupid pawn and I know why. It's because if you told him..." he pointed at me

"He wouldn't believe you. He knows I'm the good person here, don't you, Pete?" He stared at me with the same eyes he always did, the eyes that made me feel safe now scared and angered me too much.

"Shut up! Pete, it's not your fault. Don't believe him." Vegas looked at me

"Ohhh oh but it is, isn't it? And we all know it. Just when you could have it all. Kinn is no longer as strong because of love. You could have attacked all the way and claimed the throne for yourself but you held back and we all know it. You  are a fool!"

"If I am, why do you want me gone?"

"Because you'll come back to take what's mine" He's delusional

"There truly is nothing more vile than a monster pretending to be a hero" Vegas said, his words must have stung but Khun Korn looked pleased to hear them

"Really? You know what? After this  I'll tell everyone that you and your slut were captured and killed by the Spaniards and after you die, Macau will be in an accident or maybe kill himself because he misses you and his brother-in-law. After that, everything of yours will be mine" So he plans to kill Macau and make it look like an accident.

I hear Vegas laugh "I already made my lawyers prepare my Will. I gave it to about a hundred lawyers. In the event that I die or disappear for more than a month, all of my assets go to different foundations and Macau has the same. Even if you kill us or make it seem like we're alive, we have devices planted  in our bodies that would say otherwise. YOU.GET.ABSOLUTELY.NOTHING."