18. Memory Lane

Chumphon

"I missed you so much, my baby!" Grandma held my face and gave me kisses.

"Oh so if you missed me so much, why didn't you mail me? I kept sending you letters every week." I pout at grandma.

"Oh, it's so tiring. I was just waiting for you here. I read your letters with Apple." Grandma let out an exaggerated sigh.

"You have company." Grandma looked at Praew. Praew put her hands together and bow down to grandma.

"Grandma, this is Praew and her Fiancé, Pan, and he's their photographer, Beam. They asked me to come with them here and help them find good places for their photoshoot." I did not speak in dialect anymore so Praew, Pan, and Beam would understand.

"Oh congratulations. Such a lovely couple! What a pretty bride you will be!" She looked at Praew.

Grandma made us snacks and then we head to to my favorite spot at the beach. We climb up to a cliff that would face the sunrise in the morning. We came late in the morning so that's not possible anymore but that's okay. Even without the sunrise, this spot is still good. The cliff is perfect for photos. You can see the rocks, the beach, the blue, and green waters, and the sky.

I thought I'd propose to Vegas here. It would've been perfect.

I see Praew and Pan enjoy the scenery and start taking photos. I'm glad I helped them but I can't help but feel bitter that other people are using this spot for pre-nuptial photoshoots instead of Vegas and I.

I want to scold myself because I can't help but recall every word he wrote on that letter. I've read it so many times that I have memorized it already.

To Pete, my only love,

If you are reading this letter, it means I have succeeded and have cleared out your name to the main family. If I had not, it would be a completely different scenario. It would be me dragging you to the ends of the Earth and convincing you to run away with me. Even though I know you now want to run away FROM me. Funny, I never thought begging and explaining to Kinn would ever be success to me but I realize my mission in life has drastically changed.

At first it was to beat Kinn and please my father, next was to keep you with me forever, and now I guess it's to let you go.

I know you didn't want me to let them know what really happened. You never wanted to ruin uncle Korn's name until the end but if you can, just consider it your last punishment from me. Telling Kinn the truth is me punishing you for leaving me.

I know I'm a coward for only writing you. I can never tell you in person that I agree to what you want because, Pete, whenever I see you, I lose all sense of reason in me. I can never tell you that I'm okay with letting you go. I can only tell you in this letter.

I don't know where you're headed and where you want to go now. And I promise I won't pry. At least I know you're somewhere safe and hopefully with a clear conscience because that's what you deserve.

You may not be with me but at least I know you'd be somewhere laughing, eating a lot, talking to yourself, and maybe you'd do the one thing I'm most afraid of. Maybe you'd fall in love with someone else. Still, I promise never to hurt the ones you love because I never want you to get hurt.

I no longer consider you as mine, Pete. You are yours and I surrender you to you. I said you'd be mine forever but now you are yours. What once was my mission forever has now become my mission surrender.