Chapter 1 - I Am What I Am

Rule number one, trust no one.
Rule number two, love don't live within.
Rule number three, never snitch—take all secrets to the grave.

Those were rules Onyx applied to his everyday life, vowing to never break them.

His life was the epitome of enigmatic, but he kept it together with leveled idealism that was instilled inside of him, at a young age.

Love wasn't his forte due to past experiences of heartbreak and deception. Still, he had his way in life and with women.

After all, he was king status and it showed in the way he carried himself.
Such as now as he drove with urgency through traffic in his Corvette C8 as if he had somewhere to be.

In reality, his patience was just short. He was his own boss and called the shots, rushing for no one or nothing unless it was about money.

At 26 he had it all.
Money, cars, respect, and power.

Standing at 6'2 with smooth brown skin, chinky dark brown eyes, and a gorgeous smile adorned with the most expensive diamonds. He was every girl's dream.

Onyx was that guy and nobody could tell him otherwise.

Coming from a family of some of the most notorious King Pins he was next in line to take over and so far he was doing a good job at proving he was worthy. Onyx was ruthless when it came to business. His energy spoke volumes when he walked into a room and he dared to be disrespected. You'd make his day by becoming another body under his belt.

Cold-hearted and smooth Onyx wasn't afraid to say "I Am What I Am." when it came to how he operated.

As he raced through traffic he was cut off by a black Mercedes, almost making him wreck his car. The vehicle quickly jumped into the turning lane and stopped due to a red light.

Onyx pulled up on the side of the person who had officially ruined his mood. He rolled down his window to give them a piece of his mind, ready for combat if it ensued.

He blew his horn to get their attention. As the person rolled their window down he was caught off guard. It was a woman, a beautiful one at that. He was expecting it to be a man. Still, he was determined to make her aware of her reckless driving.

"Shawty you should pay attention to the road, you almost made me wreck my shit." Onyx fumed full of attitude.

She furrowed her eyebrows and replied with menace, "BOY FUCK YOU AND THAT CAR!!"

Onyx looked at her in confusion, he thought she had to be on drugs or didn't know who he was. It was rare for people to speak to him the way she did without consequences following.

He leaned his head out of the window with a mug and replied, "You know who the fuck you talking to?"

"No...I honestly don't give a fuck, and you clearly can't tell by the way you rolled up thinking you were finna get a different response. Now if you'd excuse me I got somewhere to be." she sassed matching his energy then proceeded to roll her eyes and let her window back up.

Onyx laughed to himself to keep from exploding on her. Her talking to him like that had him second-guessing her sanity.

The light turned green and as she prepared to pull off he blocked her vehicle with his. Onyx then put his car in park, got out, and walked to the female's car full of steam.

He was met halfway receiving an angry glare from the brown skin girl.

"Move your Car fu-"
Her words were cut off by Onyx's strong hands around her throat.

He was done with her theatrics and demanded her respect by any means plus interest.

As he looked down at her he smirked and asked, "What's wrong love, you can't talk?"