Chapter 8 - Sprouting feelings

Promise walked out of the Precinct practically swallowing the fresh air outside as she walked to Onyx who was standing in front of his vehicle waiting for her.

The holding cell was filled with people who committed various crimes and were either waiting to see a judge virtually to receive penalty and get released, or to be shipped off to the county jail, state or federal prison to serve their sentence.

The stories she overheard somewhat spooked her within the small amount of time she was there which was only 6 hours. Being placed in jail was a learning experience and she vowed to never put herself in a predicament where she would have to go again.

Stopping infront of Onyx once she made it to his car Promise hugged him in appreciation. The silence between the two spoke volumes to how they were feeling, neither had the guts to say it tho surprisingly. It wasn't love, but a mutual want and respect, plus realization of how much they truly liked each other. After hugging for what felt like forever, they let go to climb in side of Onyx's car sparking up a conversation as they drove through the dark streets of Atlanta.

"Thanks for bonding me out, I'll be paying you back." Promise assured Onyx who was focused on driving.

"You good Promise. Besides, it's kinda my fault why shawty tripped and put you in there." Onyx admitted, he had plans for Cassidy that she wouldn't like and he knew just what to do to get under her skin and couldn't wait to put it into motion to teach her a lesson for what she did.

"I mean yea, that's true in a way but I should've composed myself better. I'm a grown woman and words shouldn't have made me as mad as they did." Promise spoke honestly, she could place blame but she wanted to live in her truth so she didn't make the same mistake again.

"You real as hell shawty. Most girls would've been jumping down my throat by now telling me how I should control my hoes and blasé blasé." Onyx joked, he was really seeing her in a mature lighting despite him playing around with her.

Promise laughed at the words he said, she found it funny because that was her first intentions that she planned on saying but thought against it because it really was out of his control in that moment and him bonding her out showed her he really cared.

"Trust me, I wanted to scream that at you so bad but being in jail for a few hours gave me a change of heart." Promise said truthfully.

"I hear you." Onyx replied chuckling at her words before turning up the music that played inside of the dark car. Your secrets by Alicia Keys serenaded them causing a nostalgic feeling to sprout amongst them.

Promise grabbed Onyx's hand and began singing along to the song causing him to grow a little nervous.

"I won't teeellll your secrets, your secrets are safe with meeeeee." Promise sung playfully before grabbing Onyx's face so he could look at her. Being in jail had her feeling edgy and she no longer wanted to hold herself back when it came to him. She was ready to let her hair down and be her self while he was around.

"Chill Shawty, you gon make me crash the whip." Onyx said through a laugh nervously, he didn't want her to stop but he needed her to before they were caught up doing something he wasn't sure she was ready for.

"This song is a vibe, can't go wrong with throwback Alicia." Promise said knowingly while dancing in her seat. She too was a fan of soulful music unbeknownst to Onyx.

"What you know about that?" Onyx asked with his eyebrow raised playfully before stealing a quick glance at her face.

"Everything, what do you mean? Just because I look bougie on the outside doesn't mean that's who I am." Promise stated shrugging before continuing to nod her head to the smooth song.