Chapter 20 - Mission Accomplished

February 12th, 2023

It was one week until court took place and anticipation was thick. Promise's charges had been dropped just as Nicki had promised. She was now spending time in Cali enjoying the last of her second trimester with family. Xara was there with her as well.

The men however were getting down to business. So far everything was going as planned. Onyx had been playing Cassidy so well that she truly thought he was in love with her. Surprisingly after Onyx confessed his "love" Cassidy started acting different. Her bratty ways had completely vanished and she was now more understanding and down to earth. He wanted to say it was due to the game he was running on her to keep a good balance between them but she did positive things without him having to ask. You could say she did a full 360 but only time would tell according to Onyx.

He honestly didn't even need to be around Cassidy anymore, because he had everything he needed to make prove he was set up. He just wanted to wait until his court date to break things off to make sure he would win. It tickled Onyx that she thought they would ever have a chance at being together. Despite her changed ways, she was nothing short of delusional in his opinion.

Onyx had the gift of gab and it showed in the way he talked her into confessing. She didn't even know that he was secretly recording her talking about the evil things she did. He played the recording for his lawyer and got the approval that it was significant in helping to close the case. See, Onyx never kept drugs in the warehouse he was arrested in, nor where he laid his head. He still had a murder charge to beat but felt sure that it was going to get dropped as well because they couldn't prove he was there.

This was a dirty case and the recording of Cassidy was sure to silence Mayor Philips and make him pull some strings to make things go in Onyx's favor. If he didn't Paul was on standby to air out all of his dirty laundry. Money talked and power spoke volumes and both parties had it. So it all came down to who was smarter, dropped the most money, and had their head on straight.

Onyx walked into a clean house that smelled pleasant from the food being cooked. Cassidy was seated at the table reading, a new hobby she had picked up. Onyx hugged her before sitting down next to her at the table waiting on the chef to serve them their food. Cassidy had tried to cook for him but he declined every time because he didn't fully trust her.

The chef placed their food down and they prayed before digging in. Shrimp scampi with stuffed salmon and garlic bread was what they were served. As they ate they talked casually here and there about their day. Mid-convo Onyx found himself wondering what if's.

He found out 2 weeks ago through a Prenatal DNA test that the baby Cassidy was carrying is indeed his. She had admitted that she threw up the pills she had consumed in front of him. He didn't trust her word so he paid for the test to be done. He was praying that it turned out not to be his but accepted his fate when the results were revealed. All he could think about was what if he had just told Promise the truth from the jump or killed Cassidy when he had the chance.

____________________________
1 week later

The silence in the court was torturous as Onyx sat beside his lawyer dressed in a blue Armani suit, waiting on the judge to state the verdict. Promise and her family were in attendance as well. Anxiety was consuming Onyx who was worried about things going left. The heat he got from the prosecution team had him on edge. He was trying to remain confident that he would beat his case after having someone send the voice recordings to Mayor Philips at the last minute.
That way he wouldn't have a chance to retaliate. Also, just to be sure Paul visited him the night before to show him the evidence he had of him dabbling in drugs and shockingly being on the down low. They could only hope he cared more about keeping his position as mayor rather than trying to get even.