11

"Varg, wait," Euronymous called out. "Let me go and talk to her first, maybe we can come to some kind of understanding first."

Varg turned, the questioning glare almost startling Euronymous. "Are you getting soft, Øystein? We just went over everything, I told you what would happen if you tried to back out."

Euronymous shook his head, his eyes almost pleading. "I...I'm not. I'm just saying we could just talk to her first, maybe work out some kind of deal before we do this. You do realize Dead will kill us if we go through with this, right? Just give me ten minutes to talk to her, alone, and maybe I can convince her."

Varg moved closer, his eyes narrowing as he stood just a few inches away from Euronymous. The silence lasted only a few seconds but seemed like minutes. If Euronymous was scared, he was almost certain it was showing.

"Fine," Varg snapped out. "You have exactly ten minutes starting when you go through that door. If you're not out by then, I will show her what it means to be afraid, to wish she could die."

Euronymous swallowed hard, his stomach turning and heart pounding in his ears. There wasn't time to try and meet all of Varg's demands, and he knew that there really wasn't anything she could do about any of it. He wanted the fame he was supposed to have.

Infamy is a better word for it.

Whatever the word was, there wasn't anything anyone could do to get him what he believed he was owed. As for Euronymous, even he knew that at some point he would have to admit to himself that there really was little she could do for him either.

It wasn't all her fault. She didn't know.

"I'll convince her," he managed to get out.

Varg's scowl deepened. "Ten minutes, Øystein. And don't try any funny business."

Nodding once, Euronymous moved away from Varg, trying to not run to the house or cause any suspicion. He could feel Varg's eyes on him as he walked closer to the house, watching him like a predator stalking its prey.

Vanessa, he knew, would be hesitant to let him in the house, but if he couldn't talk to her without Varg's eyes on him, there was very little hope of him being able to warn her without one or both of them getting killed.

It thankfully didn't take long for Vanessa to open the door once he started knocking. Her eyes narrowed slightly, confusion plastered across her face.

"Hey, Euro," she said slowly. "Dead went for a walk, I'm not sure..."

"I need to talk to you right now," he interrupted. "Let me in."

The confusion on her face was soon replaced with worry. "What's wrong?"

Euronymous stepped closer. "Just please let me in."

Moving to the side, Vanessa let him step inside.

"You're starting to freak me out, Euronymous. What's going on?"

Turning to press his back to the door he looked at her with pleading eyes. "Don't ask any questions, but you need to call Dead right now and tell him to get back here as fast as he can."

"But..."

"Just do it!"

He watched as she pulled out her phone, his heart pounded as he waited for her to tell him to get home, to hurry before it was too late.

"Dead," she all but yelled into the phone. "I need you to get back home. I don't know what's going on but Euronymous is here saying it's important you get home now."

"He didn't answer?" he questioned.

Vanessa shook her head. "He must have the vibration on and didn't feel it. What the hell is going on?"

"Look," he started. "I've made a lot of mistakes, I've held a lot of grudges and some of them were against you and for that I'm sorry."

"Øystein, you're scaring me."

"If Dead isn't back soon you're going to be afraid. I let my anger get the best of me and made a huge mistake."

"What mistake? What the hell..."

Before she could finish there was a pounding on the door. Her eyes widened as she looked at him. Euronymous could feel his body tense, his heart dropping into the pit of his stomach.

Shit.