ii. the crack of dawn

.˚ ᵎ
⋆* ☽ ☼

 ARRIVING AT THE GATES OF THE    settlement Rue felt herself getting anxious

ARRIVING AT THE GATES OF THE   settlement Rue felt herself getting anxious. Nothing much was said on the ride here other than the obvious questions Rue didn't feel comfortable sharing, but she knows they won't let up.

Two women came to push open the gates, revealing what appeared to be sustainable living; though Rue didn't want to get her hopes up. She thought to leave whenever she felt restored.

Tommy gets off his horse as he lends Rue a hand to which she refused, getting off the horse by herself but was followed by regret— forgetting about the wound on her arm. She lets out a hiss through her teeth as she holds the wound.

"Take her to the Medical Center and meet me in the office, I'm going to grab her some food," Maria spoke to Tommy before walking off, talking to some people on her way out.

Tommy took the lead of the walk there, craning his neck to see if Rue snuck off, but she maintained the excessive distance gap between the two. Her focus was mainly on the numbing sensation appearing on her arm.

"After you," Tommy opens the door into the place, Rue walks in with her head down but her gaze focuses on the quality of hospitality around her. She hates to admit it, but she's quite impressed.

A woman approaches them with medical supplies in her gloved hand, "Hi, Tommy, who do we have here?"

After Rue slides off her dampened hood, she lets out a false wince with her nose wrinkled as she attempts to make her injury worse than it was knowing Tommy would ask for her name. She didn't want to say it now, not like she was gonna stay there long enough for them to know.

"...This lady here needs her arm checked," Tommy motions toward Rue's covered wound.

The woman gently walks up to Rue. Rue looks at her with low eyes and her chin down but eventually reveals the wound to the woman.

"Okay, we'll have you patched up," The woman takes her free hand to analyze the graze, watching the jelly-turned flesh. She places her thumb an inch away from the wound to feel the temperature.

The wound burned with every slight tug being made at the skin. Discomfort is evident on Rue's languid face.

"Thank you, Dr. Boyes,"

Dr. Boyes then leads Rue and Tommy into a compact room. Rue goes to take a seat but is briefly interrupted,

"Ah- We have to check you for any bites or infection."

Rue scrunches her eyebrows together before turning her head to blankly stare at Dr. Boyes, "My arm feels like it's on fire and you want to check me for infection?"

Tommy sighs, "Can't be too sure."

"What if I bleed out or something?"

Dr. Boyes throws her head back to laugh, "You won't."