vi. left for puns

᯽ ᯽ ᯽

  A FAIR LIGHT FROM THE LAMP ON THE vanity shined a light that wasn't too harsh on the eye in the early morning of their third day

  A FAIR LIGHT FROM THE LAMP ON THE vanity shined a light that wasn't too harsh on the eye in the early morning of their third day. Pages flipping made sharp noises now and then.

She was reading a book called Lovers Rock - and there she sat on the floor with her back against the occupied bench, flipping through the manila pages with the index finger she'd wet with her salivating tongue. There was a quote that caught her eye; a quote from a woman about her woman lover:

"Something about her reached me on a deeper level than I had ever experienced and it was frightening. It was exciting. It was dangerous. The unknown can be terrifying, but sometimes it's best to just jump in the deep end."

Three hours of sleep was all her tireless mind was able to give. Waking from the intolerable bench made her muscles ache, but the sleeping sight next to her soothed her.

The night before, Ellie asked Rue to sleep in the wardrobe with her, still feeling sensitive from the events before after the countless hours of them snuggling. Of course, she said yes, she enjoyed her company.

Before they settled on sleeping, Ellie decided to answer Rue's question. She told her that she and Dina talked about it on their first day in Seattle. That whatever happened between them was a lapse of judgment, and that Dina's heart still belonged to Jesse. Though it was a mutual understanding, it altered their friendship, to say the least.

Rustling from behind caused her to become present as Ellie stirred in her slumber, soon fluttering her green eyes to see an empty presence. She sat up and dangled her legs beside the body she was looking for.

"Morning," Rue chirped.

"Morning," Ellie repeated with an early-morning rasp to her voice. She permitted her wandering eyes to look over the woman who seemingly stared at the same page, rereading the quote.

"What're you doing up? Did you sleep?"

Rue tittered at the sense of her concern. "Yeah. Like a month ago," she smiled at her joke. "I'll be fine."

  "Where's Dina and Jesse?"

  Rue shrugged as she went back to reading. "Don't know. Haven't stepped out of the room yet."

A pause ensued - she just kept looking at her and she couldn't understand why. The way her hair was pushed back and out of her graceful face, the way her lips were pursed when she was focused— she could go on, but she realized something.

"Here." Ellie began pulling at the shirt she was wearing.

"No, you can keep it."

"Is it the fact that I didn't bring an extra shirt?"

  "Yes and no. It's the fact you were about to strip in front of my eyes."

"...I'm sitting behind you."