i. odds and ends

᯽ ᯽ ᯽

  THE NOTES THAT BUZZED UNDERNEATH Ellie's fingers molded a very calm and soothing sound

THE NOTES THAT BUZZED UNDERNEATH Ellie's fingers molded a very calm and soothing sound. Her voice was higher than her usual husky low tone when it came to singing. She sat on the side of the bed with one leg bent and the other dangling.

  "Talking away..."

Rue sat beside her, slightly swaying her head to the tune as she beamed a grin. Hearing the beautiful music made a wave of peace wash over her body. She felt comforted and secured as well as relaxed. She was silent as she admired her instrumental skills as well as her beauty.

  "I don't know what...
I'm to say I'll say it anyway."

  After the events in Seattle, Washington, the four members traveled back to Jackson, Wyoming. Rue and Ellie moved out of their own spaces to live in a joint, one-story household. It was a cozy house that had a few baby toys laying around.

  "Today's another day to find you.
Shying away."

  Dina had a healthy pregnancy and delivered a precious baby boy. Every time Rue looked at JJ all she could see was Jesse. He was a fair reminder that life goes on. It made her heart swell listening to his mother talk about his father. Watching him grow was another beautiful thing to experience. Seeing Ellie with a baby was the cutest thing on earth.

  "I'll be coming for your love, okay?"

  It was hard going back to living a normal life before the city but the two managed. They both mentally made a pact to help each other heal and to be at peace in this life full of hell and unfairness.

  "Take... on... me."

  Ellie dealt with extreme panic attacks that had only gotten worse. At first, they lasted for five minutes but now they could last up to a day. Even when she calmed she still felt unsafe and uneasy. She couldn't stay in a room by herself without hyperventilating after a while. It was like her thoughts consumed her.

  "Take... me... on."

  For example, when Rue came back from the Twin Sisters Grocers to get a few food items, she opened the door with Ellie stumbling around with a hand on her chest. Her face was red and tears blurred her vision. She dropped the brown paper bags and ran to her.

  "Stay away from me!" Ellie screamed with her hands out, trying to push her away. She slid down the wall to her right side and crawled away from Rue.

  "Ellie? Just- let me help you!" Her wailing grew louder in Rue's ears as she rushed toward her. She felt bad after she settled, so she decided to play the guitar for her as an apology.