i. hell hath no fury

.˚ ᵎ
       ⋆* ☽
———

 RAIN DROPLETS SOFTLY SPLASH AGAINST the leather jacket that hugged Rue's body agonizingly

RAIN DROPLETS SOFTLY SPLASH AGAINST the leather jacket that hugged Rue's body agonizingly. The different colored patches to cover the rips and tears were now soaked; seeing how it was regular clothing material.

Rue looks up into the sky, seeing it become bedarkened with the gathered clouds turning hazy as they start moving South.

"Fuck, I gotta pick up the pace," Rue says as she stops walking, pulling out the folded map from the back of her trousers.

Scanning the map, she trails her finger from Wyoming to Maryland, she feels fatigue overtaking her body as she feels the length between point A to point B.

"Thought I'd be a lot closer," she figuratively speaks, seeing how she's only been walking for a few days. Rue continues to stand on the right side of the road wondering if now was the time to set up a camp with minimal supplies.

Thunder interrupts Rue's solicitous thoughts. She looks up to check the development of the storm as a cloud spits out a drop of water that lands on her nasal bridge.

Rue annoyedly uses her nuckle to remove the wet splotch from her nose until a ray of lights run past her. She quickly looks up to see a car coming to her direction.

Quickly thinking, Rue runs and hides behind a boulder. Hearing the car stop, she quickly pulls out her pistol as well as trying to control her adrenalized breathing.

"Did you see where she went?"

"No, but she's around here somewhere."

Two gravelly sounding voices speak as their footsteps crunch on every litter of leaves that nestled the ground. Thunder roaring in the skies as lightning lights a path for Rue to escape.

"Can't see anything with all this fucking rain."

"Suck it up, buttercup."

The approaching voices get closer. With wide eyes, Rue examines her environment to see if she can use anything to her advantage— she spots a rock.

With tense eyebrows, Rue sucks in a breath to prevent any interventions with her movements. Almost reaching the rock, a flashlight beam turns on in her direction; pulling back her hand immediately as her stomach turns into knots.

Heart pounding against her chest, her eyes wide shut, and her eyebrows raised, she hopes to the God's that they didn't spot her movements.

"Did you see that?"

"See what?"

Another flashlight appears in the same direction, but later turns away.

"Stop fucking around."

"I'm not fucking around, stop being a dick."

"Whatever, man."

While the two voices continue to banter, Rue takes this opportunity to swiftly grab the rock.