iii. trauma's wounds

᯽ ᯽ ᯽

GROUND-SHAKING BOMBS IMPLODEDwithin earshot; something that would happen when areas of the cities was lost to who knows what

within earshot; something that would happen when areas of the cities was lost to who knows what. Rue watched Warden Holmes and other officers evacuating people off the streets earlier than usual, executing some new protocol.

  A gloomy cloud generated a few wet droplets that splattered against the windowsill, gliding down the window as if they were competing in a race, some even joined together to become one.

"Attention Montana residents, we have been informed by officials to bypass a non-routine inspection. Well-trained professionals will be checking ID cards to verify your individuality. We assure you these procedures are done to keep citizens safe..."

  The bombing progressively got louder and closer and it made Rue unable to hear the full announcement. The explosions acted as if they were abutted to the apartment, knocking over a dirtied teddy bear her friend would always lug around; but to her surprise, they didn't have it. It was a comfort item they needed, especially after the chaos that detonated yesterday.

  Their aunt, like a guardian to Rue, looked after both of them when their parents were no longer available. She cared for Rue like her own blood; keeping the promise she made to Rue's mother.

But did she know keeping that promise would eventually overflow Rue's young mind with a gruesome frame-by-frame depiction of her death?

  The image of citizens surrounding the platform of piled cars as she stood above the red sedan with her hands tied. The image of Yael unjustly striking a crowbar against her spinal cord. The image of her frail limp body against steel.

  Rue knew she practiced Islam, is she finally with her God?

  She was one of the very few that got publicly executed because of Kim's fallacies. Kim's rants of being an unstable nation without invasions of other communities fell on the ears of ignorance, the crowd praised her blinding brainwashing.

  The sky has always looked ash-grey, but it was darker than ever. The droplets were beating against the glass rapidly now, consuming Rue's ears like a million tiny gunshots cracking. Then an ear-splitting alarm blared on the speakers which caused low hums and thumps to hurriedly bounce off the walls.

  A gush of wind along with a creak came from the door. The noises got louder. Rue scanned the hallway to see people running and shouting toward the exits— so many thoughts whirling in her mind before she acknowledged her friend who stood panicked. Their eyes were big, their movements were jittery— their face was covered in fear.

  Something's happening.

———

  "You're the first boy I've ever kissed, and I want you to be the last," a woman confessed to her lover on the TV screen as waves clashed behind them. Rue could only imagine what the cool salty air felt like against her skin along with the warm grainy sand between her toes. The ocean had always fascinated her.