iii. storm shrouded by sunshine

.˚ ᵎ
⋆* ☼ .      

 WAKING UP FELT LIKE A BLISS

WAKING UP FELT LIKE A BLISS. There wasn't any usual back pain Rue would experience like laying on the dull ground with pebbles digging into her. The snug bed felt encapsulating, she didn't want to leave.

Yawning as she rubs the crust out of her eyes, she sits up and grabs the journal she wrote in before going to bed,

tonight was crazy. first thing I know I'm on the road, then one thing led to another and I'm staying in a community for a while. maybe I fucked up for staying here, but this comfy ass bed slightly makes up for it.

Rue slightly chuckles at her words before getting out of bed to get ready for the day.

———

A gush of air hits Rue's face as she enters the office with her head held slightly higher; getting good rest can do wonders.

Walking up to Maria and Tommy, Rue sees the two conversing with a bearded man with his thumb in his front pocket.

"Yeah, well, she did ask me how I like my eggs in the morning," the man jokes, raising his eyebrow as he tilts his head to the side in a self-assured manner.

Tommy throws his head back as he barks with laughter, turning to see Rue awkwardly waiting to be addressed.

"Oh, stop it," Maria gently hits the man's arm before averting her attention to Rue,

"Good morning, Rue."

"Mornin', Rue!" Tommy greets.

Rue lets out a nervous chuckle as she shifts her weight from one leg to another with her arms behind her back, "Morning."

The bearded man glances at the girl before sending Tommy 'who is this?' eyes in his direction, idly standing with a book in his hand.

"Oh! This here is Rue, we brought her in late last night."

Rue directs her vision to the man, "Hi."

"Hey there, I'm Joel," Joel brings out his hand for Rue to shake. She looks at his hand for a moment before accepting the shake, mentally slapping herself for being so accepting.

Joel sends a warm smile to Rue and chuckles softly, "I guess I better get this to Ellie. You know how that girl gets when she has Starlight withdrawals."

The adults laugh as Joel walks off. Maria then approaches Rue, "Ready for some work?"

"Yeah, I guess."