i. pants on fire

.˚ ᵎ
⋆* ☼.  

IN THE CITY OF HELENA, MONTANA LIES A Quarantine Zone that's fortified with thirty-foot high concrete walls and well-trained levels of security within the guard towers and within the city

Twenty years ago when the military overtook civilian leadership and imposed martial law, they wanted to keep their eyes on civilians that weren't affected by the cordyceps brain infection. And to do that, they transformed major cities into Quarantine Zones and forbid people from leaving— entering was also an issue.

No matter how clean someone appeared to be, if they were to arrive at Montana's entrance with a person that was bitten, unperceived by them, they would also get put down. Kim called the orders for this rule, claiming to avoid putting her people at risk.

There were many unfair laws the community had to follow and thus enforce; which caused civilization to not be civil at times. Some would get bold and approach a heavily armored soldier with a riot helmet and would always end up dead.

And throughout the years, people's anger grew once they witnessed the wrongful doings by the military and Kim's unlawful leadership. Protests were raised from street to street and even graffiti decorated the molding and decaying walls.

"And... done!" Rue quietly exclaims as she backs away from the wall that smelt of fresh paint, shaking the can profusely in her hand that was nearly empty.

The words read 'FEDRA sucks ass!' as the red paint started to slowly drip down the metal board that informed Montana residents of the rules.

A raspy laugh came from her side as that same person enthusiastically complimented Rue's art piece. They moved their bangs from their eyes and told Rue to look at their artwork as well.

"Eat shit, FEDRA," Rue read aloud and followed it with a huff through her nose and a head shake. She grew a liking for such a short phrase.

"Get people off the streets before you guys head out."

The echo from the scratchy radio bounced from wall to wall with its inconsistent radio volume levels along with footsteps that stomped on the stable ground. The masculine voice radioed back in confirmation.

Rue's friend tried to urge them to leave, but the masculine voice duplicated and yelled a raging "Hey!"

And without any hesitation, the two dropped their spray cans and began running through the decaying streets.

Tall buildings and broken traffic lights passed them by. The stomping of boots and the jangling of keys played like a tune in their ears despite the foul words falling out of the guards' mouths.

They'd see a line of people of all ages walking into a building that would do wellness checks and deviously join alongside them. Rue pulled her hoodie above her head to keep herself incognito as her friend stuffed their hands in their pockets and whistled a tune.