iii. departure

᯽ ᯽ ᯽

  A SET OF KNOCKS INTERRUPTED HER from her overflowing thoughts the night of Joel's murder summoned

  A SET OF KNOCKS INTERRUPTED HER from her overflowing thoughts the night of Joel's murder summoned. Her precious head wasn't able to fathom the sickening events the day brung along with the site that she may see.

  She watched patrolmen envelop his deceased body in a tarp with the most care they could provide, and soon lower him into his grave. Ellie was a mess about it, too, and she wasn't there for the most part.

  Her hand twisted the cold doorknob to be faced with a blonde-haired man who was also at the scene of the murder but was unconscious. His bruised face became noticeable among the moonlight that shined through Rue's window which was slightly opened.

  "Hey." Tommy croaked. His scratchy voice sounded like he hadn't drunk water in days.

  Rue cleared her throat. "Hey."

  "Can I come inside?"

  "Yeah." Rue stepped aside to allow Tommy into her space, shutting the door quietly after him. "I was meaning to check on you earlier."

  "Ah," he clears his throat, "don't worry about me." Tommy didn't want people to fret about him since a state of affairs was underway— though he was grateful for her kind heart.

  He took a seat at the edge of Rue's unmade bed; making room so she could join him. He pressed his elbows into his thighs as he made his fingertips touch with the other hand. Rue's arms were wrapped around her torso as she stared off into the distance.

  Tommy took the time to examine the room he was in and it told him many more things about Rue than she lead on. His eyes stopped at a picture frame facing downward unlike the others.

  "I talked to Ellie 'bout an hour ago."

  "How is she?" her question was quick to follow up.

  He hesitated. "She's fine."

  She knew Ellie wasn't fine— she saw her father figure get murdered in front of her very eyes for christ's sake. No one could be 'fine' after witnessing such a thing.

  There was a pause. "When are we leaving?"

  Tommy scoffed, "We can't risk leavin' Jackson unprotected. You know what happened that day those hunters almost raided us."

  Rue looked at him. "So, they just get to walk away without any consequences—?"

  "That's not what I'm sayin'." Tommy inhaled as he looked at her but his eyes were shifty. "Maria said she'd rally a few folks by first light to head that way."

  "Where to?"

  "Those leather jackets they were wearin' had Washington Liberation Front on 'em."