iv. stranger with a spaceship

.˚    ᵎ
⋆*  ☼    ☽

 THE NOISE OF KNOCKING AWAKENS RUE from her slumber, groaning as she digs the crust out of her eyes and slips on a pair of sweats

THE NOISE OF KNOCKING AWAKENS RUE from her slumber, groaning as she digs the crust out of her eyes and slips on a pair of sweats. Letting out an audible yawn into her fist as she opens the door.

Standing there was a white-haired Maria holding a new backpack up to her chest, "In order for you to join the patrol shifts, you need to confirm you're staying here in Jackson."

"Well, good morning to you too," Rue huffs lowly with her head down.

"What's it gonna be?"

Rue didn't speak for a beat even though she'd already made up her mind hours ago— she just didn't want to seem desperate.

"Yeah, sure, whatever," is all that came from Rue's lips as she tries to act disinterested.

"Good," Maria pushes the backpack up to Rue's chest as Rue holds it in her arms, "Get ready, you've got a horse waiting for you."

Maria closes the door as she's unable to see Rue's carefree smile that extended from ear to ear.

———

Seeing a particular girl leaning on the stables post with her arms crossed and head down, Tommy guides a horse towards her.

The sound of horseshoes clanging on the wooden floor grabs Rue's attention as she looks to the side with wide eyes and an open smile.

The horse had a dark brown coat with reddish highlights and white marking ending at the ankle.

Tommy notices Rue's childish smile and finds himself grinning at her before handing her the horse's reins.

"No way..." Rue says in awe as she studies the horses' features in the blazing sun.

"His name is Aeries. Found him picking at one of the trees down in the forest, feastin' on some apples," Shaking his head, he cautiously pats Aeries on the nose.

Tommy leaves to get his horse after he shows Rue the proper way to saddle a horse. Rue's tightening the girth strap as he joins back with his horse.

"Now, stepping on this strap, swing your leg over and balance yourself," Tommy carefully instructs, holding his arms out to catch Rue if needed.

Holding both reins with one hand, Rue lays her hand atop the seat. She bounces her leg and pulls herself up, swinging her leg over as instructed.

"Good!" Tommy praises, sharing a smile with Rue.

Rue positions herself to comfortability as Tommy gets on his horse with ease, looking up to see a man walking his horse over to the two.