ii. it rains, it pours

᯽ ᯽ ᯽

 ELAH SAT ON THE COUNTERTOP AS HER legs dangled along with her untied shoelaces, her hands gripping the edge

ELAH SAT ON THE COUNTERTOP AS HER legs dangled along with her untied shoelaces, her hands gripping the edge. Rue stood beside her as she allowed her body to rest against the dark brown Sacramento glass that was once cold to the touch but now dulled to their body heat.

Words haven't been spoken in a while. They were halted by their whirling minds— at least Rue's was, but she masked it by keeping her composure. Elah's impulsive action took her by surprise.

"So, about what happened a while ago-"

"You mean ten minutes ago?" Elah chuckled at Rue's attempt at maintaining her equanimity, clearly seeing through her actions as she lightly shoves her arm.

Rue rolled her eyes in return, feeling slightly embarrassed. She didn't realize how much of an effect Elah had on her— especially forgetting a minor detail so easily.

"You're so cute," Elah says as she notices Rue's silence.

"Shut up."

Rue's response turned Elah's light chuckles into a laughing fit, reaching one of her soft hands to pinch Rue's cheek playfully before pulling away to rest her gaze on Rue.

Elah took her time to respond in a genuine tone before uttering the words, "I liked it," referring to the kiss the two shared.

Rue nodded her head and smiled at her, solemnly; confirming her enjoyment of the kiss as well. It was her first in a while, which reintroduced the buzz in her heart she remembered feeling from her first.

After their unsuccessful scavenger hunt to find additional guns and ammunition in the nearest town, they collectively decided to rest in a tiny spice shop— the aroma of jarred spicy cinnamon became pungent in their sense of smell.

"Your shoes are untied," Rue pointed out in a matter-of-fact tone, cocking an eyebrow and slanting her head cockily.

Elah pouted her lips slightly, looking down as if she was oblivious to the fact, picking one leg up to analyze her loose black strings.

"That's the way I like them."

Rue'd always seen Elah with her shoes untied and would always think she didn't know how to tie them. But they weirdly suited her— in Rue's opinion.

"I guess we should head back," Elah says as she gets off the countertop; their height difference becoming apparent. Elah's tall figure towered over Rue's— a visible five-inch difference.

Her height was one of the things Rue admired along with her tight coily curls that naturally turned a dark shade of cherry over time. Her facial features had a plump charm to them that was difficult to identify; but overall, Rue found her lovely.

"Don't forget to sign us in."

Putting her moderately weighted backpack on, Rue goes to the opened logbook with a blue ink pen on the side. Before she writes in it, she reads the last login signed: