vii. those final seconds

᯽ ᯽ ᯽

  "YOU SHOULD'VE WENT WITH HER," Jesse spoke as he took deep breaths after jumping from levels to meet the wet ground below - telling her as if she wasn't repeating these same words to herself

  "Jesse can we please just fucking get Tommy." Rue spat, her patience running exhausted - although she didn't mean to snap at him. She sighed, intertwining her fingers behind her head as she deeply inhaled. "We're gonna need to find a way around."

  Jesse peeled his eyes away from her as he helped to find a way. Minimalistic office buildings, unkempt retail stores, and fancy restaurants stood tall around them. There was an opening on the other side of the main road through the Westlake Center.

  "We can cut through there," Jesse pointed. Rue nodded and bumped the back of her hand against his arm before sliding down a muddy hill and into the rushing water.

  Their usual bantering was no longer existent as they trudged along the blue water that reciprocated the light from the incoming thunderstorm which made her feel uneasy. Jesse's never seen Rue with such a stern look. She needed her group out of danger and unharmed.

The drenched feeling of her clothes clinging to her body made her feel gross. If there was some way out of this situation that had a peaceful outcome, Rue would take that offer in a heartbeat. Their focus wasn't on looting at all - but Rue couldn't help herself at the chance of looking inside a store.

  Jesse walked ahead, thinking the other woman was by his side. She pushed a cart filled with baggage out of the way.

  "Rue?"

  "Getting supplies! I'll be out in a sec," she said as she crawled under the store's metal gate, clicking her flashlight on as she cautiously eyed the corners. She looked high and low on every shelf that didn't appear to have been picked clean.

She sucked air through her teeth and removed her balance from her toes after searching the highest shelf. As she retired from the area, a note next to a bag she stumbled into sat in the corner. She grabbed it and began to read.

┏━━━━━━━━━━┓

I need help! I am pregnant and I am due to give birth in just a few short weeks. However I am unable to locate my team for eight days now. Eight! And I don't know what to do. I'm worried something bad has happened to them or... they abandoned me. I don't know what'll happen to me and my baby if I go into labor without my team.

It's been another week. Nothing.

Roy, Lindsey, Rey, if you find this note and I'm not here anymore... two people's blood is now on your hands.

┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

  "Jesus."

  Rue looked at the empty bag that had a lump in it. She dug her hand into the dark blue duffel bag, grabbing onto a bottle. Her colored eyes looked at the note, then at the bottle before carefully stuffing it somewhere safe in her bag. She hoped the woman and her child were safe, wherever they may be.