CHAPTER 18

TIMESKIP 2 DAYS...

"Jal meogeop seubnida~"

Miss Kim hummed in response as the girl went to do the dishes.

Winter seemed to be doing fine... She wasn't sick, after sleeping for fifteen hours like her mom said, she was up and running like usual. All the soreness from that day was gone, and she felt nothing weird or unusual...

After finishing up her chore, she went back to her room, landing flat eagle onto her bed.

RING...

RING...

RING...

"Huh?"

She rolled to her back and sat up, staring at the ringing phone on her desk.

She stood up and carefully walked towards the device, reading the caller ID with a surprised face.

Karomi 💙

"Hello?"

"Winter, I have weird but good news."

"Uhuh... Enough for you to call me?"

"Yeah, did you see the news on TV?"

"Uhhh no? What happened?"

"Okay so, I have no idea what happened two days ago, but whatever we did, it worked."

"What?"

"Minjeong... People are waking up."

Karina's response made Winter freeze, "r-really? Wait- You're talking about the comatosed students right?"

"Yes, them. Random students are waking up in the hospitals, there's no specific pattern but they've been waking up since yesterday."

Winter smiled, "no way, oh my God that's amazing news."

"I know right? That's why I called you. What if all of this is finally over?"

"Yeah... Hopefully."

But a nagging feeling played at her thoughts, although she pressed it down, not wanting to burst Karina's happy bubble.

"Huh- Oh I have to go for now, Mom's calling me."

Winter chuckled, "cya later unnie, thanks for calling."

Karina hummed in response, "cya Gyeoulie~"

With that the call ended, and Winter slumped back onto her bed.

Why were students starting to wake up all of a sudden?

...

Could it be?

The girl stared at her hands, rewinding back to the moment she got hit by the Black Mamba.

Was she the last host?

It hurt so much that day, more than any news channel said it should...

Was... the Black Mamba angry that Karina found out about what it was?

Maybe it used all of itself out of pure anger, just like how some humans do stupid things when they get angry...

But...

'Why am I still awake then?'

Winter shook her head, she shouldn't think like that, she was thankful that all her friends made it out safely.

Then her eyes perked up.

'People are waking up.'

Her lips curled into a smile, and she ran out of her room to tell her mom what she heard.

"Eomma!"

Her mom turned around from the couch, "yes? What's wrong, Minjeong?"

Winter grinned at her, "Jimin just told me that the comatosed students are starting to wake up."

"Oh really?"

She nodded her head enthusiastically, "yeah! Eomma, that means my brother might be waking up too!"

Her mom's eyes widened from her statement before returning the smile, "I'm sure the hospital or your father will call if he does wake up. Let's hope it's soon."

Winter couldn't wait, the excitement was clearly shown in her eyes. She'd be able to talk to her brother after a year of not being able to, she felt euphoric.

The rest of the day went by quickly, Winter getting a few calls here and there from her group of friends, talking to her mom...

She hasn't felt this happy in a year...

And if she really was the reason why everyone was waking up...

She succeeded in what she always wanted...

Saving someone she loves.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Apologies for the short filler chapter! Story's going to end soon so stay tuned and safe!