CHAPTER 21

...

...

...

"S-she what?"

The doctor sighed, "I'm sorry, Miss Kim, but your daughter is in a comatose state, it's uncertain when... or if, she will wake up."

All four women stared at the doctor in shock, disbelief.

"N-no way..."

He spared a glance in Giselle's way before speaking to Winter's mom again, "there is an unknown substance within your daughter, a large amount of it... We will do the best we can to bring her back."

With that, the man walked out of the hospital room, leaving them all with agape mouths.

"It... can't be..."

Giselle and NingNing muttered the same thing in unison as they stared at their friend, wires attached all over her arms as she laid on the green hospital bed, seeming to be at peace. On the other hand, Karina and her mother were speechless, unable to comprehend what the doctor told them.

The door suddenly slid open, revealing a man who seemed to have ran all the way here.

"Minjeong!"

Winter's older brother swiftly went to the girl's side, clutching the metal railing as he gazed in sorrow at his younger sister.

Miss Kim stood up and walked up to the older boy, rubbing his back in circles as he grit his teeth.

The room was deathly silent, the only sound being mechanical beeping from the machines all around the unconscious girl.

...

...

A soft, weak and trembly "no" was produced from one of the girls. The Japanese girl hesitantly reached out for Winter's hand, leaning in closer to the bed to rest the hand on her forehead.

"Please..."

The others could only watch as she squeezed her eyes shut, her shoulders and hand subtly shaking from her tension.

Giselle then stood up, quickly walking out the room before anyone could see her cry.

"Giselle..."

NingNing glanced from the door back to Winter, gently squeezing the sleeping girl's hand before standing up herself.

"I should go with her... Make sure she doesn't do anything rash."

Winter's brother and mother nodded at the Chinese girl, while the last remaining high school student continued to stare at Winter without any notion of doing anything else.

NingNing squeezed Karina's shoulder, silently walking out the door to find Giselle.

...

"I'm going to find appa, he'll know what to do."

The older boy gave Winter a kiss on the forehead before hugging both Karina and Miss Kim, leaving the two there as he headed out to search for his father.

...

...

...

Miss Kim came back to her seat next to the raven-haired girl, gently reaching for her hand.

"I'm... sorry..."

Karina began to shake her head slowly, "I'm so sorry..."

"It wasn't your fault dear..."

The girl covered the bottom half of her face with her free hand, "i-it is... S-she saved me that day b-by... by making the Black Mamba g-go inside her, not me."