chapter fifty four

Mercelo's POV

I was shocked when I got the call from Olivia,it turned out she was working for Giovanni and was on his payroll all along.

She managed to get Nithia out of the Salvatore mansion where Giovanni was holding her captive,he was upset about the whole scandal that he locked her up there. Honestly I feel there's more to that story than what was being let on , Giovanni may be a bastard but  Nithia would never do that to him.

I knew something was wrong when I didn't see envenyher shadow when we went to arrest Leonardo.

I could her at her father's grave ,it was a pitiful sight,the Kent family has been through a lot especially Nithia,when her father died she basically took up the responsibility of a breadwinner,she had to drop out of school so they can have enough for her brothers to go instead,she acted like a shield, receiving all the dents.

Now seeing her lay on the hospital bed ,was heartbreaking the fact that she was even pregnant and Giovanni still maltreated her.

While waiting for the test results James and Shelby walk in ,I already told her that I have enough evidence against Giovanni,I haven't checked it myself but I'm sure it is enough to hold him for questioning, until we have enough evidence and I'm sure Nithia is willing to testify against him.

"How is she doing?", Shelby asks.

"She was dehydrated but we are still waiting for more test results",I say and hand her the phone.

" Very good Mercelo I'll have someone look at the contents at the station", she says and places her hand on my shoulder ", your father would have been very proud of you",she says and leaves.

" Do you think she is willing to testify?", James asks.

"Yes ,have you got here and he brothers under the witness protection program?",I ask ,we have to move this case as soon as possible. Many people are involved in this business so they have to be protected.

I see her stire awake and look around and I send James to call the doctor.

"Why by the looks of it you're a month pregnant and need to pay attention to you diet and not stress yourself. The first trimester is very risky,so you must be careful", the doctor says. What ? She is pregnant?. The doctor tells us that they'll keep her for a couple of hours just to make sure she is okay and prescribe some supplements and vitamins.

"Mercelo I remembered what happened, I had an argument with Leonardo in his car when we were leaving the hospital,he then reached for a cloth that he later covered my nose and mouth with,I tried to fight him off but couldn't",she sobs. " He drugged means took those offensive pictures",she continues.

" It's okay, don't cry,I promise I'll find that bastard and make him pay",I reassure her ,I don't really know what to say because I'm still shocked that she's pregnant and it looks like she already knows.

I got her something to eat and put her to sleep,I don't know how long I had stayed there but by the time I had woken up it was already morning,I panicked when I found the hospital bed empty.

Then the door to the bathroom opened and she walked out, after the last check up ,they discharged her.

I decided to stop by the station where we found Giovanni filing a missing persons report.

"So now that your lover, Leonardo escaped without you,you run into another man's arms",he mocks.

I look at Shelby and wonder why they were not arresting Giovanni when he himself came here,they should have looked at the contents of the phone by now.

"I didn't cheat you Giovanni", Nithia says.

" Come on let's go",he says, grabbing her by the elbow.

”You can't take her with you,plus she has a restraining order against you",I say and take his hand off her ,she looks at me confused ,but I give a look that says I'll explain later.

"Shelby why are you not arresting this asshole?",

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about",she says and lifts her laptop.non of the pictures show Giovanni with any of the leaders of the cartels,only Leonardo, documents indicating that all the ships seized with illegal weapons belongs to Leonardo, everything pointed to him, Nithia could see the shock in my face and she began panicking.

"It can't be",

"But it is Mercelo the person we have been looking for all this time is Leonardo, we've been looking in the wrong place,some of the documents contained coordinates of another shipment that our officers have managed to seize,thank you so much Nithia,for your coparation".

Nithia was just as surprised as I am " it can't be,I was there I took those pictures,I was there!",she says.

Giovanni laughs , tossing his head back " look Inspector,if you need me to answer any questions about Leonardo please feel free to contact,now if you'll excuse I'd like to take my wife home with me",he says reaching to grab Nithia again.

" Look Salvatore, I already told you that she has a restraining order against you, she's not going anywhere where she doesn't want to be!", I say, shielding her from him.

" I see,this is not over yet dollface",he says and walks away with his bodyguards.

" What now ? What am I going to do? Giovanni was supposed to go to jail so I can get my brothers",he said, panicking.

" James what's going on?",

" Just like Shelby said, everything points to Leonardo,we all are sure it is Salvatore but all the evidence points to Leonardo", he says.

" What can we do ?", I asked if I needed to give Nithia a solution because I promised her.

"We can try to get him for domestic violence?",he says shrugging.

Domestic violence? How is that going to even be possible?

"Nithia you'll have to file for divorce and Sue Giovanni for all the torment he put you through in marriage, it's the only way you'll get guardianship of your brothers from him because once you're divorced there won't be any relationship or ties between you two",

Don't forget to also read my book Taming The Heiress and follow me on my writer's profile