Chapter 1

Sitting in front of a huge table, the man was fixing his tie nervously. This is one of his many interviews which will take him to the city he had dreamt of – Shanghai.

 This is one of his many interviews which will take him to the city he had dreamt of – Shanghai

"Hi, I am Xiao Haikuan."

The recruiters were asking him questions for which he responded equally well. He was really hoping to get this job. He was tired of getting rejected over and over again. However, this time luck was on his side.

While Haikuan sat and stared at them, the recruiters were impressed.

"How about Shanghai for your first posting, Mr. Xiao Haikuan?", one of the men smilingly said while signing the papers.

Haikuan was thrilled. After all, it was his dream, their dream. He grinned like a kid all the way to his home, happily announcing the news.

When you are raised in a small town like Wuyuan, you become desperate to go to big cities, but once you are away from home, it pulls you back and wishes you are back in that comfortable atmosphere. Haikuan always waits for the weekend to arrive and that's it....He boards the first bus to his hometown – Wuyuan. After all, there is no place like home.

TIME SKIP FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS:

"Dad..." He calls happily as he sees his father working with his friend in his farm. His dad proudly shows off his plantation that he has grown. His mom appears and hugs him happily. After all Kuan is their only son. They usher him inside and ask him about his work, the climate just like any other concerned parents. He is more than happy to narrate.

"Urghhh....Kuan, why don't you wash your clothes in your PG itself? Do you have to lug it over here?"

"Aah, mom, you know how I would like to sit and clean it beside our pond. And besides, washing machine doesn't clean it well as sitting and manually washing it off with our hands."

"Aissh, this kid..." His mom, Xiao Xiu smiled and left him to do his chores. Haikuan is an obedient and responsible kid who not only helps his mother whenever he can but also ensures that he does all his daily tasks religiously.

"Kuan gege, Kuan gege, do you really have to go?" The neighboring kids were pestering him not to go. An older brother to the kids, playing with them, teaching them old poems of Chinese scholars, Kuan is a gentle soul. His father looked at him proudly. Kuan has always been a good son and a good human being and had a lot of patience.

"Kuan, it's time for you to go. Your bus will arrive. Have your packed everything? If you sit writing and rambling poems like your father, you won't achieve anything in life." His mother was screaming from the other room. His father, Xiao Han looked at him, smiled and sighed as he watched his son's face become pale. Kuan's mother has always been a dominating lady, never truly happy with his father, was constantly blaming him for being a farmer and treating her like a slave. It was upon her insist that Kuan studied to be a software engineer. She wanted her son to go to city and earn good money and help her out of this hellhole.