PROLOGUE

EVELYN

EVELYN

I didn't even know where I was. It was dark everywhere. I could hear low inaudible mutterings but I couldn't make out the number of men they had. For what?

I struggled but the rope was tied securely. My hands and legs were tied and my head covered with a black sheet. My mouth was taped, so only muffled screams.

Tap! Tap! Tap!

Someone approached me. I couldn't believe it was just because I stole a credit card. Middle class men were like this, but they didn't have the guts to keep guards around them. That too more then thirty, all looking like mafias. He was surely someone filthy rich. So why so much pettiness?

The black surroundings turned white. The light was blinding but soon, I adapted. My blonde curls fell upon my shoulders, covering my face with my head down.

Someone grabbed a fist of my head and my head jerked up to a face. A familiar pair of green, hazel eyes with a stern expression. His face was that of a Greek God. Perfect. His lips were pursed and his mahogany hair neatly gelled.

A woman killer, no doubt. Flattering.

His cold expression soon turned into confusion with his loosening grip. Even I was confused. Never in my life had I been caught during my theft but even though it was my first and it was indeed the most surprising one.

"Eva?"
What?

A familiar name but...Who was it? Did I know her? I didn't even know what my name was. My other criminal partners had named me Scorpion. But the question was, had this man mistaken me for someone else? If so, did I have a chance for escape?

A small boy of four or five years peeked around. He had blue eyes, like me. He had soft blonde hair. Like me? He had a small round face and looked like a partial carbon copy of the man. His father? He was cute and adorable. But now, his face was masked with confusion and doubt. It seemed like I knew this boy and the man. But where? I couldn't make the connection.

The boy opened his mouth and gasped. But the word that came out shocked me. My heart skipped a beat and started racing frantically. Did he call out to me? No, I was not that. I was certainly not related to him. But my body responded otherwise. It was as if I knew every inch of this man and this boy. My whole body ached and my chest started burning in a weird way.

No. I couldn't be that...
Or more appropriately I wasn't supposed to be that.

But weirdly they both seemed to know something. Or else why did the man call me Eva and the child recognise me as his...

Mother?

The clear, pitchy velvety child like voice called out again.

"Momma?"

Cover: CrimsonShadowMaskBanner: _BLACKSPADESZ

Banner: _BLACKSPADESZ