RUSE

A new set of fresh tears formed at my eyes

A new set of fresh tears formed at my eyes. I had discovered my memories so late and now my life was already going to end. How ironic!

But I heard something. And that gave me some hope. That I won't be alone in this.

"No!" His angelic voice was feeble with the panic that had grasped him. I closed my eyes, readily accepting my fate. How could I change it? What was the use of fretting over loss?

As the death still seemed to be approaching steadily, I got knocked off by something from a direction that I never expected. Rolling over the grassy ground, I looked up. The off-projectile car had banged into a tree, head-on as it has missed its target. The car was deformed and had fallen over to one side. One of its wheels rolled, detached from its origin, and disappeared into the bushes. And then engine gave off a thick line of smoke in a puff! as if it was sighing. The man though, in his drunk state, crawled out of his almost-grave, and walked away singing incomprehensibly. As his shadow died out, I looked around me. A man, was laying a few steps away and his audible groans were full of swearing. I knew all of the words he used and I also knew it's meaning, but what surprised me was the strange combination of them in an obscure way.

I smiled bitterly. This was my James. He had grown into a big man. He was successful in fooling me all this while. It seemed my absence had led him to be independent and use his potentials to maximum level. I was proud of him. He was naive and a blind believer of family's connection. But the incident five years ago must have felt like a shock to him. With me not around, he would've tried to recall all of my words of warnings I had passed to him in private. He would need them, I knew. But that he would change with the reality was a different story.

Time does change people. I admitted to myself.

There was another person who had changed with time. But now, my memory wasn't focused over the trivial things. The most important thing was that, I was back. As Evelyn Williams. Even better than I already was, all thanks to my little transition period as Scorpion.

"Jamie darling, it's time to be home." I smiled and whispered to him. He opened his eyes and the train of speech he had been giving too halted.

"Eva?" He asked recognising the small term I had started using after we realised the love for each other.

Yes, now I won't be upset. It really was me. I nodded. The tears were flowing freely now. A minute ago, I was regretting my fate and now I believed that we were fated to be together. I hugged him, it had been long. The only intimate connection I could remember was my last goodbye kiss. He hugged me back, he was trembling too. Maybe crying even. I couldn't see his face.

"Eva, please tell me you're not going away from me again." He sobbed. Yes, he was definitely crying.

"I promise James, I promise. No, I swear that I'll never leave your side again." I tried to say with my crying voice.