ADAPTING

EVELYN'S POV

EVELYN'S POV

I had been quick to adapt to the storyline. Given that I didn't know the father and son duo, it was easier to pretend that I had forgotten them. My job was too easy.

I had to wake up at seven every morning and get formally dressed. Then, I had to join them in breakfast and send Junior to school. We had developed a good relationship all thanks to the short trips I had to take with him. For a child of five, he was too intelligent. Even I was surprised. He would keep silent for most time and speak when it was necessary. And when he would speak, his words would have a gravity to it. He was surprisingly understanding and mature. He was patient. I wasn't too surprised to see girls of his age following him like his personal golden retrievers. And, he wasn't surprised to see a pool of male parents who started to come to the school to drop their kids after I started going to school to drop Junior. And Junior would say,
"Guess, who I got these genes from."

That would leave me speechless.

Kids nowadays.

James had assigned Alice, a housemaid, as my personal assistant. She accompanied me silently wherever I went and took care of every single insignificant detail. But I didn't trust her. There was something off about her that always alerted me.

However, I couldn't ignore her completely. We talked a lot. About Evelyn, about James, about Junior and about their chemistry. After all I needed some details about Eva, if I was playing the 'recovering from comma' part.

Evelyn was surprisingly like...me. I mean, not only in appearance but also in character and personality. It scared me.
I started growing familiar to her moves. After knowing her, James's and Junior's story, I could almost predict them and their actions. I started fitting into the missing Eva.

At night, I would report Junior's development with me to James and go back to my room. Thanks to Alice's help, I could learn hacking. I had forgotten even better in it. There was a strange feeling that I was used to it. Drumming my fingers into the keyboard at top speed with an excellent hand-eye-brain coordination. It was as if I was doing it after years of abandoning my skills.

Too weird.

I started growing better, falling into place and even at the level of Alice. It seemed that I was correct about her. An innocent and delicate beauty like her shouldn't be knowing these things. But I decided she might have her own reason for hiding things. I wasn't her owner after all.

I started with every crime organisation, every prison, every rich family, every place where Rick could be present. But, even after a month I couldn't find him or any of his and members. It was as if they didn't exist. And I was frustrated. Frustrated that I couldn't even find a person who was like a brother to me.

I let it go. No, not giving up, but it was enough for tonight. I shut down the computer and stood up. My eyes roamed around my new room. Master bed of black and the room wallpapered in golden, the elegant room had a shallow presence of a powerful aura. Simple furnishings but all designers, the room was simple and elegant yet everything screamed, 'filthy rich'. But I had a feeling. Whoever this Eva was, she was a lady of rich and classic taste as well as she was the modest rich lady I had ever witnessed. I couldn't hate her. Never. James too. Instead, I developed a liking, it was almost relieving to think that there were some people in this world who were rich but not snobby.

I looked at the the night sky. I saw the vast expanse of glittering diamonds in the dark carpet that extended till infinity. A faint strike gleamed across the sky and faded after a moment.

A shooting star.

And I wished to find Rick, and... James and Junior to reunite with Evelyn.

The woman they both loved.

As if on cue, a breeze swirled my hair around my face in a silent whisper.

To be continued...