MY KNIGHT

EVELYN'S POV

EVELYN'S POV

"So that's all? You mean, if he really is your brother who is after you and has killed Evelyn and is going to show up tonight is also among the few people who know Evelyn too well?"

It was hilarious but seemed like he knew his enemy too well.

"Yes. And he might pull some stunts tonight. You need to remain prepared. Act like you have known him from ages and you can read his mind. That is of course considering whether he shows up tonight." He muttered.

And for the first time, I was scared. Scared to meet this Victor who could kill someone as calculative as Eva.

One mistake from my side would let him know that I was just a single pawn and that the queen on the board was already dead. But...

There was still one chance.

If the pawn was in the second last line in enemy ranks, then with one single move it could become the queen. It could turn the tables, it could bring a checkmate on my opponent. Even if the bishops, the rooks, the knights were all wiped out, the game was still on as long as the king was not on a checkmate but even if you had all sixteen pieces on the board, once your king was on check it turned all things down.

And I was a born expert in chess. Even while Rick was teaching me the rules, I was half prompting him, though I didn't know the source of the knowledge. It was as if I was too acquainted. Like hacking skills. Like business skills. Like fighting skills.

True, Rick had taught me fighting. But it wasn't enough. The exercise he made me do was familiar, but my body was used to more. Without Rick's knowledge I practiced those myself. To a point when I couldn't stand anymore. But it was necessary for survival. So I was motivated enough to bring back those skills that seemed to be there in my body. After I lost contact with Rick, all I did was fight, practice and protect myself.

I shook my head. That was not necessary now.

It was time for my coronation ceremony to be an official event. Not as Evelyn Williams or Scorpion. But a hybrid of two. Evelyn was more or less like me. And when I would combine us both...

I smirked.

"I was thinking of saying something cheesy like 'I'll protect you no matter what' or something but seeing your...expression, I guess you are ready with your move." He smiled.

But something about his sentences didn't seem right.

He would protect me?
Protect me?

Please!

I looked at him. Almost glared at him, trying to force him into my submission with my penetrating gaze. Quickly, I pulled him by his tie and he jerked to a stop inches away from my face. His breath came out heavily and I could feel his nervousness.

Men! I scoffed.

It was easier to seduce them without trying. But I couldn't tell clearly. Because I was identical to Eva. It might be because of that resemblance that would've caught him off guard. And strangely, I trusted him. Trusted him enough to believe that he was not that kind of person who would pretend to be devoted to his wife. Even if he smiled often, I could always feel an ancient grief reflected in his eyes.

No, it was definitely because of the resemblance. I almost felt guilty.

But I had work to do.

"Honey," I used my honey like voice, "I am saying this for once and for all. Hear me loud and clear. I am a Queen. The only one on the chessboard who is supremely majestic. I don't need protection. It is you who needs me. Don't forget that we're on a deal. You get something you want in return of something that I want."

Maybe I boasted too much. As if to mock me, the car skidded to a sudden stop.

Of course, I had to fall on his laps.

Ugh!

He caught me protectively in a bridal style but it felt weird to be taller than him just because he was sitting. I started to slide over to my former position but he held on to me. I looked at him quizzically.

He smirked as if I had thrown a challenge to his manliness. He leaned in closer. The smell of cologne was maddening. I felt hot. I was feeling stuffy, unable to breath. I let out a gasp and my chest heaved.

He smirked as if he was trying to prove a point.

What signal did I miss?

"A queen is a human too. Her will might be steely, she might be strong like metal, she might be invincible. But still, she is made up of flesh and blood. She can bleed too. She can feel pain as well. It is the reason why she needs a backup. Even if she is strong, she should be intelligent enough not to inflict danger upon herself like some brainless beauty. A queen is different from others. She should remember that." He smiled.

"What are you even trying to say?" I asked more baffled.

"What I'm trying to say is it doesn't matter what you want to win over whether it's a small kingdom, a war or even the world. But don't forget that if ever you need help, there will always be a man in the shadows to help you. I will gladly be your knight, your king, your bodyguard or even your husband if that can help you achieve your purpose." He seemed serious.

This man! He sure knew how to make someone's heart flutter.

I couldn't deny that. My heart was certainly beating faster and my stomach was making sure little flips.

It wasn't the first time when I thought of him...romantically.

"You sure know how to flirt." I slides back to my position smoothly while trying to keep my expression even.

"But did that work?" He asked, chuckling. He was enjoying himself thoroughly seeing me flustered.

"You wish."

To be continued

To be continued...