SLEEPING

EVELYN'S POV

EVELYN'S POV

As I carried Junior all the way to his bedroom, James followed me. It was unusual being his first time to follow me. I laid him down on the bed gently and pecked him on his forehead. He was already fast asleep. His mouth was part open in a small 'o'and his was snoring softly.

"Good night, darling." I smiled and whispered. I quickly closed the door and was about to turn when I bumped into someone who I had forgotten was there. He caught me again. I suppressed the heat and maintained a respectable and appropriate space again.

"Thank you for now and for the designer's dress. It was very gorgeous and felt amazing."

Gratitude was necessary.

"Won't I get a good night's kiss?"

All the sense of gratitude evaporated.

"Why are you being so childish?" I grumbled. He hadn't still let me go.

Though I wasn't going to complain.

"Miss Scorpion, I paid you to be Evelyn Williams, not to be my son's nanny. You executed your motherly duties well but your wifely duties are still on due." He pouted.

Was he possessed by some child spirit or something?

"For Heaven's sake, James, you are a grown man and have a kid and a missing wife. You should restrain yourself." I scolded.

"Did you know? When a wife is far away then the husband, no matter how much devoted he is, is likely to cheat." He smirked, his grip tightening around me.

"Let's go to the room and talk. Junior will wake up." An excuse. And a pathetic one at that.

"As you wish." He lifted me effortlessly, bridal style and almost knocked the breath out of me. I gasped.

"What are you doing?" I whisper- shouted.

To this he grinned.

***
His room was far from elegant. It was like a royal chamber. The room's primary colors were black, grey and golden. His stadium like room was virtually divided into four sections. A lawn size bedroom that occupied most of the space gained my first attention. The king size bed made its prominent presence in the middle with black pillows, black furniture (an expensive kind) which was hopefully unbreakable by his weight (and now both of us). It had tiny gold flowers engraved with a royal design. A furry silk bed sheet was draped over it like the bed was some kind of throne. Pfft!

My eyes next went to the library size private library that contained more books then a library. My sentences sounded confusing even to me.

Next was his wardrobe and maybe a hidden bathroom that was separated by translucent glass walls. And the last was a reception looking space and I guessed it might be his attached office space (since a lot of papers were scattered there and it was most probably the only place that looked untidy.)

The room didn't have much decoration except some really antique looking vases, some paintings of random things and the lamp table beside the bed that had the photo of his family.

In it a new born child was cradled by its mother, Evelyn was every bit beautiful and elegant as I had thought and beside her James, holding her by her waist. It seemed to have been taken by some stranger when they were having some personal space but it was very likely they were posing since the photo seemed like a still shot from a movie. A happy family. A long suppressed feeling of un-belongingness resurfaced.

And all of these tiny details, was registered by my brain in the small twenty seconds time he took from his door to his bed. He gently laid my down on the bed and climbed over me, pinning my hands at my side to avoid protests. He was a second too late for my left hand that pulled up the bedsheet as a barrier between his body and mine.

"You think a piece of cloth can protect you from me?" He grinned.

I was right from the start. He was a monster. That kind who had the ability to destroy things just by smiling.

The smile got imprinted in my memory. But I kept my expression even. There was no way this man desired me. This must be a test. A test to see if I was keeping personal and business relationships in separate dimensions. That must be it.

I maintained silence on his remark to my strange action but I knew what I was doing.

He leaned in but before he could throw the sheet away after gripping it, I quickly used my free hand to put the end of the sheet over him. Blinded, he wasn't able to understand my work. I quickly pounced and rolled him using the bed sheet. He was inside it and his face popped out like a puppy who was confused. With my continuous crawling motion, I swiftly stood up on the ground and backed out from the bed with a smug smile.

"What are you doing?" He groaned.

"Self defense." I said as I opened the door to exit out of his room. The room had his smell everywhere and it was crazy how much it bothered me.

"Evelyn Williams come back!" He shouted.

I put finger on my lips to remind him about his sleeping son and winked before I closed the door.

As I made my way back to my room, I was feeling giddy. But as soon as I entered it I felt guilty.

It was after all my fault.

I entered her room, not mine.

I was beginning to like her husband and not mine.

She was the real Evelyn Williams, not I.

As the gravity of the reality sunk in, I couldn't deny the fact that it bothered me. Yes, human was foolish. Living in the realm of dreams that was far from reality. That is how he gets deceived every time. But I couldn't stop wishing for that life.

There was nothing to wrong with hoping, was there?

To be continued.