BACK AS A BOSS

I woke up in the morning with a nice rest

I woke up in the morning with a nice rest. The morning was silent and peaceful putting me in my best mood. I got up from the bed, stretched and walked over to the window. Small goldfinches and blue birds trilled in the big forest-garden that was built in some ancient era and restored by Eva when she got married and started living separately with James.

I quickly departed to the washroom, only to attend to the slight knock on the door. As the door creaked open silently, I saw Alice in an official suit waiting patiently, holding a bunch of files and papers.

"Mr. Williams has requested for your presence immediately in his room, ma'am." She said seriously.

"But I am not ready yet..." I hesitated.

"You have a different schedule today, ma'am. For the instructions, sir has called for you." She replied monotonously.

I sighed and followed her. As we reached it, she stepped aside for me to enter. I rolled my eyes. These trained guys were way too formal for my liking. Seemed like Eva was a strict person. I sighed again as I knocked.

"Come in." A deep, familiar voice said. I entered the room and saw James fixing his tie. He had some difficulty in doing the task. Frustrated he ripped it off him and threw across there room.
He looked at me and glanced at his dead tie and back at me. A chuckle escaped my lips as he rolled his eyes.

"You are going to spend the day with me today."

There goes my good day.

"Why so?" I asked curiously, not knowing what we would be doing for the whole day.

"It's about time ITEX gets its boss back. There is too much of indiscipline over three years after Eva's absence. You need to get it under control even if it is temporary."

"Three years? I thought it was five." I stated.

"I went there after two years of her disappearance to check on the company. They all had it planned. I couldn't believe they all knew that she wouldn't go back to the company and so they were just waiting for the right time. When I went there, everything had gone wrong already. I knew anything I tried would only be futile and giving them more opportunities. So, now that they have a nice surprise behind their back, it is a once-in-a-lifetime offer for us to handle them. You are almost as intelligent as her and have a powerful presence. You already know how to behave and what to do at the right time just like Eva. We just need your presence there, and hope that we have enough time."

It confused me even more.

"You mean I have to stall and take time disciplining them so that you can get time for..."

"Evidence?" We both said together.
I as a question and he as a statement.

"For what?" I asked again.

"That they instigated a murder."

"Of?" My voice trembled.

"Evelyn." He whispered.