{25} - Birthday Boy

Bethany had heard from Remington and Emerson that Sebastian was hard to surprise, but she didn't care. She was throwing him a surprise party anyway. Of course, the morning sickness kept her being as actively involved in the set up as she would have liked, but she planned and directed from her seat in the recliner at Remington and Emerson's house. She happily ate a bowl of dill pickle chips and insisted they do things her way.
"I want that banner over there." She pointed at the doorway to the dining room. "You can put the other one in front of the staircase, but that one looks nicer and I want it to be seen right when you walk in the door." The banner in question was foot tall blue block letters that read: "Happy Birthday, Seb!" It had been decided that Sebastian was too long to fit on the sign.
"I hate that you make sense." Remington dropped his end of the blue banner and let it fall to the floor. Emerson flipped him off and set about straightening the banner so it didn't rip. Remington jumped down the stairs and headed for the dining room door.
"No, I've got it, don't worry." Emerson said as he followed Remington, one end of the banner dragging on the floor.
"Thanks, darling. You're beautiful! I don't know what I'd do without you." Remington gushed in the fakes voice Bethany had ever heard. She snickered and put another chip in her mouth.
"You should start filling balloons." She told them while Remington worked on taping the left side of the banner up.
"How's about one job at time there, boss man?" Remington asked, walking around to take Emerson's end of the banner and tape it up.
"Don't call me boss man." Bethany sat here bowl on the end table and uncrossed her legs, stretching them out before being one up so she could wrap her arms around it.
"Boss ma'am." Remington grinned. Emerson rolled his eyes.
"That's not better." Remington snickered and then laughed out loud. Emerson and Bethany watched him, mild concern etching their faces.
"Boss mama." He finally got out, laughing so hard he was crying. Emerson snorted.
"What the fuck, Ratface?" Was all Bethany said. That just made Remington laugh harder.
"How much have you had to drink?"
"I'm insulted you think I have to be drunk to be a comedy genius."
"Only someone who's drunk would think that boss mama is comedy genius." Remington laughed again. Bethany smiled. "Weirdo."
"OMG I get to be weird Uncle Remmy!"
"I'm not sure that's something to be proud of." Emerson told him.
"You're just jealous you won't be weird Uncle Emerson." Remington crossed his arms. Emerson raised his brows.
"Whatever help you sleep at night."
"The only thing that helps me sleep at night is the cold, unforgiving embrace of the darkness."
"I hope you both know my child will never leave my side." Bethany said. Both of them laughed. "And I have serious concerns about your alcohol consumption. She shook her head at their foolishness and rubbed her barely there baby bump. Her baby was gonna have so much wild, chaotic, but wonderful family.

———

"Who's making dinner?" Sebastian asked. They were in the car, driving towards Remington and Emerson's house.
"I dunno," Bethany replied. "Probably Remington. I'm not sure Emerson should be left unsupervised in the kitchen."
"Mm. Good point." They pulled into the driveway and Sebastian got out and ran around to open Bethany's door. She smiled and accepted his hand. They walked hand in hand to the front door. Sebastian opened the door and stepped in, immediately being greeted by shouts of "Surprise!".
"Surprise!" Bethany said, squeezing his hand. Sebastian grinned and accepted the drink Shy offered him.
"Happy birthday, honey!" Stephanie came over, her own glass in hand, and pulled Sebastian into a hug.

———
4stephanierachel

❤️ liked by bennyharris, thejulietsimms and 4,348 others 4stephanierachel happy birthday to the one who made me a mom! I'm so proud of the man you've become and so excited that you're making me a grandma 😜 I love you so much honey!

4stephanierachel happy birthday to the one who made me a mom! I'm so proud of the man you've become and so excited that you're making me a grandma 😜 I love you so much honey!

Load all comments

———
bennyharris

❤️ liked by krisisaverted, jakepittsbvb and 5,612 others bennyharris happy birthday baby! You're my favorite person, my best friend, my very own rockstar, and I just know you're gonna be a wonderful dad! I love you so much and I can't wait for our...

bennyharris happy birthday baby! You're my favorite person, my best friend, my very own rockstar, and I just know you're gonna be a wonderful dad! I love you so much and I can't wait for our next adventure! sebastiandanzig

Load all comments

———

Bethany sat in the rocker, gently rocking herself and rubbing her barely there bump. Sebastian was in the kitchen, washing up the dishes from their dinner.
"What d'you think about using Andrew as a middle name if the baby's a boy?" She asked. Sebastian turned to look at her and smiled.
"I don't have a problem with that, as long as you'll consider Rachel for a girl." Bethany smiled too.
"Of course. I actually really love Rachel." Sebastian dried his hands with the dishtowel before dropping it on the counter and walking around the island to join her in the living room.
"Have I told you," he asked, resting his hands on the arms of her rocker and leaning down so their noses almost touched, "how absolutely beautiful you aren?" She tilted her head and looked up, as if pondering.
"Not today." He grinned and pressed a kiss to her forehead.
"I love you, Bumblebee."
"I love you." She leaned forward and kissed him.

———
A little later she had decided to go to bed and watch something, while Sebastian worked on some potential songs for the next Palaye album. When Sebastian finally went to bed he found Bethany watching Marley & Me.
"Why are you doing this to yourself?" He asked. She was at the end of the movie, tears steaming down her face, tissue clutched in one hand, blanket in the other, as she sniffed. "You know it makes you cry."
"I know!" She wiped at the tears, but it was useless. "But I love this movie. It's just so hard to watch them realizing he's not gonna live much longer and then having to put him down. And bury him." He sat down on the bed beside her and wrapped her in a hug. "That could be us. Kinda. Y'know?" He rested his head against hers and nodded.
"I do."
"And sometimes you just need a good cry. And this movie always gives me a good cry." Bethany grabbed another tissue and blew her nose, before wiping at her eyes again.

———
Yikes! Sorry for the delay. It's been a rough month and it doesn't look like things are gonna be getting better anytime soon. My family is really going through some rough shit right now and my mental health has taken a serious toll and I'm just altogether not in a great place.

On the upside I do know now what's gonna happen in the next few chapters so hopefully I can get them written and distract myself from all the shit in my life rn.

Avery L.