{19} - Perfection is Perception

Sebastian and Bethany were out wandering the mall. Bethany was trying something on in the dressing room and Sebastian was continuing to browse when his phone rang.
"Hello?"
"Hey, it's Andy. I can't believe I'm actually about to ask you this, but could you make sure Bethany stays at your place tonight?" Andy asked. "I mean, she basically lives there now, but just in case she decided to come over here tonight, don't let her?"
"Uh, probably. Why?" Sebastian answered his question with a question.
"Our parents are coming into town tonight to surprise her for her birthday tomorrow so I need her out of the house until tomorrow night."
"Ah. Alright. I will do my best to keep her away."
"Thanks."
"No problem." Andy ended the call and Sebastian put his phone back in his pocket.
"Hey, you." Bethany said, walking over and linking arms with him.
"Hey. Dinner?"
"We should probably eat it, yes." She nodded and smiled up at him. He rolled his eyes good naturedly.
"Are you ready to eat it?"
"Yeah."
"Great."

———

"Bumblebee?" Sebastian asked while they were waiting for their check. She hummed in response while digging through her purse for something. "I was wondering if you wanted to come back to my place." She finally looked at him, one eyebrow raised. "I can give you your birthday present." He smiled and wiggled his eyebrows.
"Sebastian!" She gasped, eyes wide, as she processed what he'd just said.
"What is that look for? What are you insinuating?"
"What am I insinuating? You're the one being all . . . like that!" He laughed.
"You came to that conclusion all by yourself, baby girl. I actually have a gift for you. Not "that"." He put the word that in air quotes. Bethany could feel her cheeks heating up.
"Fuck you." He laughed again. "Stop laughing at me." She pouted.
"I'm sorry, baby girl."
"You don't sound sorry. You don't sound sorry at all." They way she said it made it sound like she was quoting something.
"Is that a quote?"
"Yeah. It's from a lego Batman movie."
"Huh."
"That movie actually has some great lines." She smiled then laughed. Sebastian smiled.
"I love you so much, baby girl." It slipped out before he could stop it. He froze and looked at her with wide eyes.
"You-you love me?" She asked softly. He nodded.
"I do. I love you a lot."
"I love you back." He smiled.
"Can I kiss you?"
"Please." He leaned forward and gave her a short, gentle kiss.
"Does it bother you that I always ask?" He seemed embarrassed.
"Absolutely not." He smiled and she grabbed his hand.

———

When they got back to the apartment there was a bouquet of faux white and yellow tulips laying on the table and a small wrapped box.
"I've never had so many flowers in my life as I have in the past five months." She said as she examined the flowers.
"Would you hit me if I said something really cheesy right now?"
"I dunno. It's depends."
"I'll love you until those flowers die." He grinned and Bethany groaned.
"That is so cheesy. You're lucky I love you."
"That I am, baby girl. That I am." She rolled her eyes then pushed herself up onto her tiptoes so she could give him a kiss.
"Can I open my present now?" She asked, eyeing the small box on the table.
"Sure." He slid it toward her. She grabbed it and carefully undid the bow. "Sorry about the wrap job." He smiled sheepishly.
"I love it." She ripped the wrapping paper off. She lifted the cover and found a single key inside.
"Is this-?"
"A key to my apartment. I want you to move in with me."
"Oh."
"You don't have to. I just thought we've been together for almost six months and we've known each other longer and you practically live here anyway." She turned the key between her fingers.
"Yes!" She threw her arms around his neck and gave him another kiss.
"Uh, I also have this," He pulled a box out of his jacket.
"You didn't have to do that."
"I want to." She took the top of the box and pulled a jewelry box out of it. Inside the jewelry box was a necklace. Heart shaped honeycomb with a little bee on it.
"It's beautiful. Thank you." She moved her hair and put it on. "I love it. How's it look?"
"Beautiful."