{11} - Dinner Times Two

I'd like to point out that the picture^^^ has nothing to do with the first paragraph. Okay? Great. Proceed.

Sebastian spent the entire meal making sure Bethany was okay. Every time he asked her she said she was fine, but she kept picking at her lips and bouncing her knee. At one point Stephanie asked her a question and Sebastian could tell she was struggling more than she had been. She was talking fast and going on longer than she normally would have. He grabbed her hand under the table and rubbed the back of it with his thumb. She glanced at him and smiled. She gave his hand a squeeze. When she was free of the conversation she excused herself from the table.
"So?" Sebastian asked, making eye contact with his mom.
"She's an interesting little thing. Quiet, but very sweet." Stephanie said, "And she obviously cares about you a lot."
"I care about her a lot. It's funny how those two go hand in hand. Or at least they should." He smiled at Bethany when he saw her walking back to the table.
"Sorry." Bethany said as she took her seat again. Sebastian could smell the cloves from her cigarette. He leaned over and whispered,
"Are you okay?"
"Mmhm." Soft grey eyes met sharp blue ones and he knew she was telling the truth. He grabbed her hand again and kept his gaze on her, smiling softly. "What?"
"Nothing." He picked up his glass and took a drink.
"Liar liar, pantalones del feugo." He laughed into his cup and spit water onto his lap and plate. Bethany hid a giggle behind her hand as he used his napkin to clean up the water.
"What are you two doing?" Remington asked, eyebrow raised. Bethany giggled harder.
"Nothing. Sorry." She composed herself and smiled at Sebastian.

———

"Well aside from the mild panic attack before we left I'd say that went pretty well. Wouldn't you?" Bethany asked as they pulled up in front of the house.
"I would. Mom likes you."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah. She said you're interesting and sweet. And she's right."
"That's a relief."
"What time do you get off tomorrow?"
"Five. Why?"
"Let's get dinner." He suggested.
"Sure." She nodded and smiled at him.
"I'll pick you up at six."
"Where are we going?"
"It's a surprise. It's a pretty high end place though. Like the place we went tonight."
"Ok. See you tomorrow. Goodnight."
"Goodnight." She leaned over and gave him a kiss before getting out. She waved as he drove off then went inside.

———

The next day she couldn't contain her excitement. Even though she'd just seen him she couldn't wait to see him again. And this time it would be just the two of them. Her excitement enabled her to put up with a lot more bullshit than normal and she was hardly even phased when Janine snapped at her. Twice. However all of the anticipation made the day stretch on forever.
"Why are you so antsy?" April asked at lunch time. Bethany smiled and her face went pink.
"My boyfriend and I are going out dinner tonight and even though I did just see him yesterday I can't wait to see him again."
"Aha. So tell me about your guy. What's he like?"
"He's a massive dork. But he's so sweet. I've got a lot of mental health issues which has caused occasional physical health issues and he knows and he's just so good with it all. And he knows about my last relationship and he's willing to work with me on this, y'know. Like that relationship hurt a lot and it's kind of made me more . . . careful, but he's okay with that. And, oh my gosh, he's a guitar player in a band with his brothers and I love watching him perform. It's so obvious how much he loves what he does. And he's putting just as much effort into this relationship as I am and that is such a comfort to me. Like he does actually care about me, y'know?" Bethany sighed happily and rested her elbow on the table before putting her chin in her hand and taking a bite of her lunch.
"Well I'm glad you're happy, honey. Sweet little thing like you deserves it." She smiled at Bethany.
"Doesn't always feel like I deserve it, but I guess that's just how life is."
The rest of the day passed just as slowly. No one called, no one came in. And it was agonizingly quiet. The soft clack keys being pressed on keyboards and the hum of the A/C were the only noise. Bethany tried to distract herself with menial work, but there wasn't much to do. No files to sort, no paperwork to fill out, nothing. Finally after what felt like years five o'clock came and Bethany was the first one out the door. Once at home, after a short and weird, but pleasant conversation with Andy she went to get ready. The dress she'd chosen that morning was laying on her bed. The top of it was plain black with lace at the very top and the skirt was black as well with large white and pink flowers on it. It fell to just above her knees and swished gently when she walked. She knew she would be ready way too early, but she couldn't help it. She went to the bathroom and fixed her make up. She applied a light pink lipstick. And then, because she had plenty of time, she decided to curl her hair. It wasn't something she did often because of how long her hair was.