06

Kangdae stood, peering into the mirror at his face dripping with the water he had just splashed over him to calm his inner self. He looked tired and it had only been the first day of training as a member of BTS. Was it some sort of punishment for what he did? For accepting - technically forced - into a group that definitely didn't need him? He had to get a grip before he made more of a fool of himself.

Slowly, the bathroom door was pushed open and a head poked through rather timidly. Jimin stared at the outwardly blank man through the mirror, simply inspecting him for possible injuries or tellings of true emotions but he found none and stepped inside to ask anyway.

"Dae-Hyung, are you okay?" His soft voice sounded and Kangdae finally noticed his presence standing behind him, worried for his well-being.

Kangdae gave a small smile, "I'm fine, Jimin."

"Are you sure?"

"Look, I lost my cool, okay? I lost my breath for a moment but I'm good now, trust me when I say that."

Jimin nodded though it seemed as though he still didn't believe Kangdae, moving to stand beside him so they could actually look at one another, "We're friends, aren't we, Dae-Hyung?"

"Sure." Kangdae shrugged, not certain how to answer.

"Then will you tell me if you're not fine?" His pretty eyes were hopeful and Kangdae didn't know why, why the young boy wanted to be his friend or why he was trying so hard to be. "We're brothers now, I take care of my brothers and they take care of me."

Kangdae's gaze softened, "I'll take care of you, Jimin."

"Will you let me take care of you too?"

Kangdae was always the one looking after people so it was odd to hear someone wanting to do that for him. Usually, he made the decisions, set the rules for safety and loved unconditionally or as much as his heart would spare but who had ever taken care of him in that same way? Sure, his parents were around and they loved him but they were always working, fending for their family financially. 

Kangdae didn't know how to feel.

"... Maybe."

To say Kangdae was not looking forward to working with Yoongi was an understatement, he made his dislike crystal clear and despite Kangdae being okay with that he still had to work with him so it was going to be a difficult situation. 

Kangdae knocked on the rapper's studio door and only received a quick 'yes' and nothing else. He shrugged and opened the door, seeing the man sitting at his computer with red lights surrounding him, something Kangdae raised his brow at. Neither of them said anything as he just stood there behind him, waiting for a response or a demand of some sort so he could do it, get it over with and leave. He knew it wouldn't be the simple, however, and he was right.

Yoongi, without turning around, pointed at the piano in the corner of the room, "Play something." The order was cold and Kangdae was expecting that. 

Not bothering to ask what he should play or any other question, Kangdae sat down, cracked his knuckles and thought of the first piece of music that came to mind and that was a movie soundtrack. 

It was a beautiful piece that Kangdae knew he executed close to perfection. It was one he taught himself and later taught his father because the two had enjoyed the movie and adored the soundtrack composed by the great Hans Zimmer, he knew it by heart. His father had been the one to bring him into the world of music, sharing his passion for how it could make a person feel and move like flowing water, so easy and carefree or strong and powerful, Kangdae had always admired that about him.

Kangdae sat beside his father on the stool of their old piano, worn and loved through the years by their family and handed down from father to son. Kangdae would see him sitting there almost every afternoon, playing something akin to a lullaby before bed or uplifting for when no one wanted to get out of bed. He had asked his father one day if he could teach him and Sungho was ecstatic to show him everything he knew about music, not just piano but a whole range of instruments, what they meant and how they conveyed a story or emotion.

"I learned something for you." A fifteen-year-old Kangdae grinned up at his father.

The man mocked with great shock, "For me?"

"Wanna hear it?"

"You didn't even have to ask, my boy, play away." 

And so he did and Sungho couldn't have been prouder with that large smile of his and that twinkle in his eye only grew as he played. That was their bond, brought together by music, love and care. A father and son glued to the passion of music.

Kangdae could feel the piercing stare of the person behind him, scrutinizing his playing and his very being. "You're talented, I'll give you that," Yoongi muttered with a heavy sigh, obviously not wanting to give him any sort of praise but he did, even if it was a backhanded compliment Kangdae was grateful. With that being said, Kangdae did not react because it meant nothing to him. He was still caught up in the faint memory of a childhood long gone. Yoongi looked back at an expressionless Kangdae, "It sounds familiar, what's it called?"

Kangdae turned to face the rapper, "Time by Hanz Zimmer. It's from the movie Inception."

"You played me a movie soundtrack?"

"You didn't tell me not to." 

Yoongi stared at him with narrowed eyes before he sighed and shrugged, "Whatever."