22

It was as if the air had changed and everything was so different. Jin clung to him like a second skin, wherever Kangdae went he followed, he even sat on the toilet while Kangdae showered talking about nonsense that had him laughing. Jimin also clung and acted a lot more like a child around him, asking to go out for ice cream or to watch movies together and cuddle which Kangdae couldn't deny him. Hoseok and Jungkook asked him about his past and especially the good parts with Jin, they had even forced him between them on the couch just to watch them play a video game for three hours. Yoongi was a lot more understanding and gentle with the way he spoke to Kangdae, always so careful with the way he worded things and was often found with his head on Kangdae's shoulder sleeping. Taehyung was doing his best to get gradually closer and Kangdae knew he felt guilty for the way he treated him, it was progress. Namjoon, on the other hand, had barely been seen him around the dorm and it was concerning.

Kangdae had messaged Namjoon a total of twenty times that night but no response. Areum's contact was filled with seen messages from him and it was clear she didn't want to forgive him so easily. Teenagers.

"... Dae-Hyung?" Kangdae looked up from his phone to see Taehyung in his doorway with an anxious look on his face, eyes flickering around the room and one of his hands tapping his leg furiously out of nerves.

Kangdae didn't question the man's behaviour, "Yes, Taehyung?"

He opened and closed his mouth a few times, trying to find the right words, "I... I wanted to say I was sorry for, you know, treating you the way I did. It was unfair of me to hate you just because you were a new member so I'm sorry."

"Yes, but you were also protecting Jin, weren't you?"

"I don't-"

"You do know. Sure, at first you didn't like me for that reason but then you heard about what I did to Jin and then you hated me because I had hurt your brother so much."

Taehyung looked down, "It doesn't excuse my behaviour."

"No, it doesn't, but I understand."

He could only frown in confusion at the older who was so calm about everything, so put together, "Why are you so nice?"

Kangdae shrugged nonchalantly, "I raised two children, Taehyung, and one of them has hated me for the past four or so years and now both of them do. Emotions are difficult."

"They shouldn't hate you."

"I'll talk to them soon." Kangdae quickly dismissed with a wave of his hand.

The silence rang out and Kangdae turned back to his phone, expecting Taehyung to leave soon after but was surprised when he glanced up and saw him still standing there somewhat awkwardly. Kangdae raised a brow at him and Taehyung cleared his throat.

"Dae-Hyung?" His voice shook with the name and it worried Kangdae for what was to come.

"Yes?"

Taehyung bit his lip anxiously, obviously seeing his next question or statement as something that was difficult to say out loud, "... Can we be brothers?"

A large grin broke out over Kangdae's features and he chuckled so fondly at the fidgeting man, "We already are, Taehyung, sometimes brothers just don't like each other much." He held out his arm, "Come here."

The pair lay on the bed watching a child's movie they had both seen numerous times and it was pleasant as if they had been friends for a while and nothing could break that but it was new and sometimes new was good.

Yoongi seemed happy to hear of their encounter told to him by a grinning Kangdae, obviously ecstatic to have the last member accepting him and showing their true colours because, Kangdae knew, Taehyung wasn't a hateful person he was just distrusting and Kangdae hadn't had the greatest first impression on any of them.

"Taehyung apologized?" Yoongi needlessly asked, matching the older's grin and it was almost proud of what he had heard. Depsite him being one of the most disliking towards Kangdae he was there and he cared about him which was all he could ask for.

Kangdae chuckled with a roll of his eyes, "Yeah, it was a nice surprise. He even asked if we could be brothers."

"What did you say?" Yoongi smirked out of amusement. 

"I said we already were it's just that some brothers don't get along."

He raised a brow as if pondering over Kangdae's words carefully, "Are we brothers?"

"Of course we are and you're a good one, Yoongi." Kangdae bumped his shoulder against the younger's gently.

"Why?"

"Because you helped me through some hard times, even when you didn't like me much you pushed it aside and helped me because you somewhat understood what I was going through. My dongsaeng." He said and it held so much truth that both of them couldn't help the large smiles taking over their features which reached their sparkling eyes filled with emotion. His dongseang, that sounded nice.

Kangdae had made sure to visit his second family that afternoon with the hope of a warm a hug and a conversation that would flow so easily it was rather amazing and that was exactly what he got, he didn't expect anything different because as soon as the door opened he was enveloped in the arms of a woman he was considering his 'Mama' and that was a difficult topic to even wonder himself.

"My baby!" Anja squealed, her wavy blonde hair falling slightly into his face as she held him tightly, "How are you?"

Kangdae grinned, tears forming in his eyes out of shear content and happiness, "I'm better. How is everyone here?"

"We're good." Anja nodded but her smile quickly turned sad, "Your siblings have been visiting quite a bit, Minjun usually stays locked up in Stefan's room."

"How are they doing?" Kangdae missed them both dearly, he missed their talks and bickering and sometimes even Minjun just screaming words at him for no reason, he missed all of it and it had been so long.

"Not too good, I think it's taking a real toll on Areum. You need to talk to them."

"I know and I will. Jin and I are going to do it, hopefully, they'll respond to him." They had both discussed it and Jin could see how much the separation was affecting Kangdae so he wanted to help, he messaged Areum that morning but Kangdae hadn't asked about her reply yet and it was making him anxious.

"I'm sure they will and everything will be cleared up, I'm sure of it."

"You always were the optimist."

"Kangdae, my boy," Kyong rounded the corner and brought the taller but younger one in for a large hug, "you look good." He pat him on the shoulder with that warm look in his eyes that had always made Kangdae feel so safe, like he actually had an older brother who he could rely on.

"I feel good. Jin and I made up and things are good."

"I'm glad, you deserve it." Kyong nodded and he meant it.