07

Yoongi wasn't the worst company in the world, it was simply because of his distrust that made him so irritable towards Kangdae but his backhanded compliment was appreciated slightly, that is after Kangdae was hit in the back of the head for daydreaming. He didn't mind.

Apparently, Hoseok wanted to take the time to be around the new member more as he sat beside Kangdae on the couch, making quick comments or asking small questions. He was a total sweetheart in Kangdae's eyes and someone he saw himself getting along well with.

"What's your favourite colour?" Hoseok randomly asked in the middle of a particularly affectionate scene in the movie they were watching.

Kangdae turned to him and chuckled at his grimace, "I don't know."

"Oh come on, you have to have a favourite colour."

"Green?"

"Okay. Why?" Maybe Hoseok was only asking to rid himself of watching the drama or maybe he actually wanted to know and it made Kangdae think for a moment.

His favourite colour had always been green but he only partly knew why and that part seemingly wanted to keep the answer a secret. Green closely related to something in Kangdae's mind and he didn't want to admit it because admitting that would mean he still held onto those heavy and painful memories but also the ones that brought him such euphoria.

"Someone I once knew used to wear this green string bracelet and was never seen without it." Kangdae vaguely said in thought.

Hoseok smiled at the man's starry eyes, "Your crush? Or a girlfriend?"

Kangdae shook his head, "No, but I loved them very much."

"What happened to them?"

"Let's just say we grew apart." Kangdae would rather not relive it all.

Hoseok was respectful of his answer and left it at that, turning back to the movie that wasn't at all interesting but it was something to watch.

Kangdae hadn't watched much television in his life, especially not movies he might find interesting. Children tend to watch something they like on a loop for weeks and that was the same with Areum and Minjun, they had their favourites and they fought about them which left Kangdae to either sit beside break it up and pick one of the two or let them fight it out. Minjun usually won and that was how they watched the same movie for almost three months, Kangdae could probably recite the entire script if he were to watch it again. That was his entertainment for the duration of his childhood, looking after his children and, still, nothing had changed.

Minjun was always the more headstrong one, knew what he wanted and went out and got it. He was bullied occasionally for his home life and other matters but he never shied away from a fight. Kangdae remembered getting home from work one day and seeing a frantic Areum trying to clean the cuts and bruises on Minjun's face, when asked what happened he told him his bully had gone too far and, in an act of defence and anger, so had he. Minjun landed the boy, one year older than him, in the hospital after a student found him in the bathroom unconscious. No one else knew about it or that was what they thought.

Areum was a sweet girl who knew how to take care of herself but always looked up to her older brother for help, she knew the sacrifices Kangdae had made for them and she always respected his decisions. She was quite liked in her high school for her kind and caring nature as well as her intelligence which she put towards her passion for writing anything and everything. Kangdae just wished she had gotten a childhood as half as free as Minjun's was.

Kangdae didn't bother to think much more about it, not wanting to be trapped in the whirlwind that was his mind and quickly found himself cooped up inside his room once again, blankets tightly wrapped around him and his phone being the only light in the dark room. He had texted Areum to ask how the both of them were doing and he got a response in seconds, telling him they were fine and that Minjun wasn't great but he was trying which was what mattered. Kangdae hated to be away from them for so long but it had to be done.

"Dae-Hyung?" The door was cracked open and a head popped through.

Kangdae squinted at the blurred and dark face, "What is it?"

"We're having dinner, come out and have some." It was Namjoon, of course, it was and even with the short refusal he still pulled Kangdae out of bed and plopped him down at the table with everyone else.

Jimin smiled widely at him, sitting in the seat to his right, while Hoseok gave a quick greeting, sitting two places down to his left. Kangdae sat opposite Taehyung, which might not have been a good idea, and Namjoon sat beside him.

It was silent as they ate, either no one wanted to start a conversation or they just didn't want Kangdae there and he would have to agree as he only sat and didn't move.

"Eat something, Dae-Hyung." Jimin broke the silence, causing most eyes to turn to them.

Kangdae smiled though it probably looked more like a grimace, "I don't like garlic." He could smell it all around the room, invading his senses rather violently.

Jin glanced up at him and it was quick.

"Are you a vampire?" Hoseok questioned with a chuckle at the same time Yoongi said, "Don't be ungrateful."

Kangdae sank in his chair, "Just a personal preference." 

"Jin-Hyung doesn't like it either but he still uses it," Jungkook shrugged nonchalantly.

Kangdae did his best to suppress a smile at the memory his mind had roped him into, how two young boys tried their best at making dinner only to put a clove of entire garlic in the meat and ruin the food as well as stink out the house. The smell permeated the home for weeks before it finally died down and Kangdae had hated the smell and taste ever since.

"Want me to make you something else?" Namjoon asked, receiving incredulous stares from his fellow members, all of them knowing he would somehow do something wrong and set the kitchen on fire.

Kangdae chuckled, giving the younger man a friendly pat on the shoulder, "No, it's fine, thank you."