24

Jin finally told Kangdae that Areum responded to his message and asked to meet at a nearby cafe to talk things over, she would bring Minjun and Jin would bring Kangdae, it was settled but that didn't mean his nerves were. Did they still hate him? At the first sight of their older brother would they turn the other way? Kangdae just hoped he could be able to fully explain himself before either of them threw any more harsh words at him.

Jin had been there to pull him out of bed - Namjoon having slept on the very edge of the bed like he used to - and throw an outfit at him, telling him to get ready and that he would cook him breakfast. Kangdae had been getting much better at eating, especially when it seemed everyone in the group wouldn't leave their seats until he was finished. 

Quickly getting ready, Kangdae was sitting at the dining table in minutes while everyone else was at the studio doing their own thing. It had only been him and Jin in the dorm and Kangdae was glad he wouldn't be questioned about his day or what they were doing that the pair had been so secretive about, he needed to be calm.

"Everything will be fine." Jin set down a plate of pancakes and ran a hand through Kangdae's hair tenderly. 

Kangdae huffed, leaning into the intimate gesture, "I hope you're right."

"I'm always right." Jin grinned and the two ate their breakfast, mulling over how the situation would end up going, Kangdae hoped his thoughts about being shunned as an older brother weren't true.

They arrived at the quiet and quaint cafe and saw Areum and Minjun sitting in a booth through the window, both looking rather solemn and as anxious as Kangdae felt.

Kangdae took a deep breath, Jin grabbing his hand and sending him an encouraging smile, before opening the glass door which sent the ding of a bell to ring out. The few people inside glanced their way though if they were fans they wouldn't be able to recognise either of them with their masks and hats covering their faces.

They stood before the teenagers, one more apprehensive than the other, and pulled down their masks.

"Hi," Kangdae mumbled, eyeing the four drinks on the table. An iced coffee sat in front of Kangdae and an iced chocolate in front of Jin, two drinks they often ordered when they went out as kids. Kangdae peered over at Jin who sat beside the window and he returned it, memories swimming in their heads.

"Hi," Areum muttered, not daring to look up from her own drink while Minjun had one earbud in and was clearly trying to keep himself calm over his inner turmoil.

Jin sighed heavily and sat up straight, ready to get things moving, "Right, so here's what's going to happen," All eyes turned to him, "I'm going to tell my side of the story and then Kangdae's going to tell his, you are going to apologize and we're all going to be one big happy family again. Okay?"

Everyone frowned but nodded.

And so Jin told the two about how he had thought his love had fallen for another and one that was so terrible, how he left to pursue his career and never looked back but, in fact, he did and he missed Kangdae. Kangdae then told them what really happened and how he was controlled and abused and manipulated for those years until he was thrown away when she got bored, he had been broken and he had tried so hard to fit himself back together again but he couldn't quite find all the pieces.

"I'm so sorry, Oppa." Areum cried into her hand, cheeks red and eyes raw with so much guilt and disappointment in herself for never seeing the signs and never being there for her older brother like she should have been

"It's okay." Kangdae shook his head, trying to keep his own tears at bay.

"No, it's not. I jumped to conclusions like I always do. I really need to stop doing that." She scolded himself and it made Kangdae chuckle because it was all so familiar to him, his baby sister was finally talking to him again.

"Just as long as you'll still have me as your Oppa, I'm good."

Areum gave him a small smile, "You're more than that, you took care of us and I never really thanked you for it. Thank you, Oppa, without you I wouldn't be the person I am today."

"I always thought of you as my sister first but my daughter second, you know that?"

"And you were my father second."

Minjun finally looked up from his stare at the table and showed his glistening eyes and the things he wanted so bad to confess but could never find the words because, of course, he was a teenager and emotions were oh so difficult. "Hyung?"

Kangdae's breath hitched and the hand holding his squeezed with reassurance, "Yes, Minjun?"

"I'm-" He cut himself off as he thought, "Areum made me realise something. I have been childish." He looked at his sister and she smiled.

"You are a child, Minjunie."

"I know but I was also being so unfair and I could never see the bigger picture, I didn't understand all the sacrifices you made for us and how... you pretty much threw away your childhood to take care of us. Eomma- she wouldn't have wanted to live like that, I realised that, and we wouldn't have been able to take care of her. I just- I don't know what I thought. I just wanted things to go back to the way they were, I guess, but it wasn't possible and what followed was so much more painful, you know?" Minjun broke out into sobs and Kangdae quickly reached over to grab his hand, "I'm so sorry, Hyung, for everything. I blamed you which only made it harder on you because you were our guardian and you thought I hated you but I never did, Hyung. Never."

Kangdae's lip tremble as he slid out of the booth and embraced his baby brother tightly and let him cry, "I love you too, Munjunie."