Chapter 5: The maze

The squadrons are walking in the darkness, even though they possess night vision, which does not save them from the dangers of the maze, silence is the key factor as they use a closed shared vox channel, only producing muted clicks.

Careful where you step, you might activate a trap.

But something sounded off, like a blade scratching a wall

What was that?! said one of the marines

Concentrate, we're near the actual temple.

Are you sure about that?

The marines turn around to encounter themselves with a Drukhari force, with the intentions of gaining the blade before them.

Well you look at that, the monkheig have sent some of them to gain the blade, how cute.

Spare me your words alien, the sword is ours to claim, and I am not gonna let you get your grasp on it.

Then we fight!

Brothers, FIRE ON THE XENOS!

Both Drukhari and Astartes fire their guns at each other, as they sprint to the temple.

Perseus, burn them to their death.

As you wish, WarpSmith.

Cestiron raises his bolter and activates his flamer attachment, burning the xeno filth, while the rest fired their bolters at them, it was a death race if you could say so, guts flying away, heads being torn apart, screams of pain and death, yet no one else was able to hear them, at last, only one alien was left, Perseus was ready to take the shot but Ascharium stopped him.

Do not bother shooting her, without the rest of her kin, she holds no chance against us, now let's keep walking, the temple is near.

The marines would walk till the shadow was nowhere else to be seen, but instead, the temple itself, a gigantic pyramid with fountains of water in form of ancient statues, flowers all around them, and in the top, the sword they were looking for the whole time.

Finally, after all, the sword is near nothing to be mine. Said Ascharium.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Perseus raises his bolter, directly aiming at Ascharium's head.

I knew from the dead start that you were going to betray us. Said Perseus

Then you may know as well that part of the marines behind you are my loyalists.

7 marines raised their arms, aiming at Perseus. In reaction those who followed him raised their arms at the same time, everything was about to go out of control.

So it appears we're evenly matched. Said Laxares. - But only one may survive!

Both squadrons splitted and started opening fire, Perseus and Laxares engaged in melee combat, both showing their mastery with their weapons, but Laxares had both speed and range at his side thanks to his mechadendrites, Meanwhile perseus just had his maul, swinging it and shooting his bolter to avoid getting touched by them, out of nowhere the drukhari jumps between both of them and climbs up the pyramid to get the blade.

No! Laxares said. - The blade is mi-

Suddenly, the maul of Perseus hit Laxares in the chest and the head, knocking him out, Perseus turned his attention to the eldar and shot his gun at her, but her reflexes made it avoid the bullets.

You think you can stop me monkhieg! Said the drukhari as she was right before the sword, laying on a pedestal of gold

Yes.

Said Perseus as he shot his flamer, the fire consumed the eldar, the only sound coming out of her were screams of pain and desperation as she walks without course, leading her to fall over, Perseus grabbed her and smashed her head against the floor, laying dead now the drukhari was.

Your kin is nothing but a joke alien, soon all you've known shall be consumed by the flame.

And it shall be my flame!

Said Laxares as he appears behind Perseus, his axe directly hits on Perseus chest, Perseus couldn't move, Laxares then kicks him off, dropping him down the giant stone stairs, now with him out Laxares grabs the blade, feeling it's power running through his body, suddenly the earth starts shaking, the marines who were fighting each other stop as they witness that the temple starting to rise.

We have to get out of here. Said one of the marines.

Grab Lord Perseus and ditch the warpsmith.

His follower would grab the badly injured Lieutenant and would call for the extraction, meanwhile Laxares was chanting for the prince of pleasure to hear him.

Dark powers hear me for I have accomplished my goal, in exchange for your divinity I offer you this entire world and those who stand in it as sacrifices to you!

The thunderhawks would start arriving, as the marines were getting on, the ground was breaking, shaking, and light could be seen from the ruptures, but this was only the beginning of something much worse.