Chapter 3: The Breaking of the earth

May 31, Year 842, M.41.

The last night of the conflict, the war at it's peak, the sky was in hell fire, Ork gargants fighting with the Imperium's titans, everyone was there, even the governor who decided to lead the guardsmen onto battle, my brothers and I dropped onto the warzone, opening fire to the green skin filth, my sword tasting their blood and my plasma gun incinerated their heads.

WE SHALL NOT LET THEM MOVE, THEIR TITANS SHALL FALL, AND THEIR GODS SHALL TOO, FOR THIS IS OUR MOMENT, THIS IS WHY WE FIGHT, FOR SOMETHING BIGGER THAN HONOUR, FOR THOSE WHO YOU LOVE, FOR THOSE WHO WALKED THE PATH THAT YOU'RE RUNNING ON, LET THE ENEMY REPENT SETTING FOOT ON THIS PLANET, MAKE THEM PAY FOR EVERY INCH OF SOIL, FOR RUSKARIAAAA! I said to encourage the men.

FOLLOW THE WARDEN, FOR HIS LIGHT IS OUR GUIDANCE TO VICTORY! Complemented the governor.

FOLLOW THE WARDEN, FOLLOW HIM TO VICTORY, FOR THE EMPEROR, CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!

FOR THE WARDEN! I hear a marine of the hammers of truth saying.

Our fury was unleashed, our blades sharpened and our will intact. We were pushing the enemy to his last stand, one by one they fell, as I already said, I ended Exskols Claima's life with 2 swings, 1 to the waist, and one to the head, and that was the end of the war, there I was, standing with one leg over the Ork's dismembered body, both Guardsmen and Astartes cheering my victory, as I was holding the alien's head by his hair.

Later that night, in celebration of our victory over the Greenskin WAGH, a festival occured, guardsmen marching, saluting at the crowd, Astartes walking alongside the humans, gunships dancing in the air, music playing, people cheering and smiling, and when I was passing by, sitting on a throne I was, placed on a golden chariot being moved by servitors on it's sides, right next to me were the Governor and Captain Hernandus, and following my brothers in their bikes, as Corscheas raised my banner, they crowd screamed.

CRALIUS, CRALIUS, CRALIUS!

LONG LIVE THE WARDEN OF RUSKARIA!

All I could hear as the looked at me, as they looked at my helm, so I decided to take it off, showing the public my face.

For an Astartes, you look younger than you are. Said the governor.

I could say the same about you governor.

Now let us rejoice on our victory, for tomorrow, a new war shall be liberated in the far reaches of the galaxy.

Very well.

We went to the center of the city, standing on stage as the Governor made his speech.

People of Ruskaria, tonight we are united by this glorious success on the defense against the evil hordes of the aliens, thanks to Colonel Alexander Varl ,Commissar Carlo Entarus and Sarah Deiques of the 125th regiment of the Brimlock Dragoons who lead our forces of guardsmen and defeated our enemies, thanks to Commander Mordekai Exellon of the 327th naval wing, who flew sky high taking down the xenos with glorious holy fire, Thanks to Chapter Masters Maximus Sobotor and Lance Equilux of the Cyberium Crusaders and Hammers of truth for coming to our aid, to Captain Thormund Hernandus of the Eagles of Salvation company of the Hammers of truth, and last but most importantly, my personal thanks and my respect to the Captain of the Shadow Paladins company of the Cyberium Crusaders Enzor Cralius, who's leadership and strategic genius made us win this conflict, for without him, Ruskaria would be lost.

I have to thank you as well governor Elquitran, and I have to thank everyone who stood besides me, you have proven me your worth, you have proven the enemy your strength, your will of iron is unbreakable, FOR IN THE DARKEST OF HOURS, YOUR LIGHT SHALL SHINE BRIGHTER!

The crowd kept cheering on, as we did as well, I must say I was never close nor with this many people without them running away from an invasion or them hiding, children were running around, pretending to be Astartes and guardsmen, soldiers were reunited with their families at last, and even new ones were formed. But I felt that something was missing, so I turned to see Monica resting there on a wall, doing nothing but observing. I approached her and spoke.

This is...beautiful isn't it? I asked

Yes, yes it is. She said.

Monica, forgive me for what I told you the first time to your master's home, you truly show why he trusts in you, it was my ego that fed me with the idea of you being such symbol of corruption and evil, my experience with mutants like ogrins and rattlings taught me that, after all they are, and how they look, they are still humans.

We looked at each other, I take off my helm to reveal her for the first time my face.

I can't believe that behind that armour, lies a man.

I don't even remember the last time I took a look at myself, battling made me forget even how I look, made me forget that...I am human...or atleast something that looks like one. Ironic.

I guess Astartes and Abhumans ain't that different from each other.

I guess so.

I do not recall much of my days before my ascension to the Ultramarines, I remember the image of a teen, brown and curly hair, green eyes and prominent eyebrows, I remember that my mother said my face was that of a true son of the emperor, but I always had to hide it, growing in a hive city showed me that even appearance could be used as a weapon. Me and Monica were staring at each other, while we talked, I got to understand her, for once, I felt my ego vanishing away and embracing my humanity. But then, the apocalypse awoke.