Chapter 2: The assault

It was the second month, I don't even know the exact date, we were on the assault of an ork titan called "great gargant" on the makings, the Greenskins established their base on a crater far away from the city so it would take us time to get there, but time is what we had on our side.

By the emperor, that thing is massive. Said one the Hammers of Truth

You have not seen them complete. Alexander replied.

Less talk and more shooting. Said captain Hernandus through the vox.

We dropped off the gunships and attacked, the titan was not completed yet, but the orks were already using it's weaponry.

Sir, the orks are defending that thing like if there was no tomorrow, we need the titans. Said one of the guardsmen.

As Long as there's blood running through our veins, we are enough to defeat the xenos. Guardsmen, concentrate your fire on the guns of the gargant, we are to be the distraction for the 327th to arrive and bombard this abomination with holy fire!

Tank treads shaking the ground, bullets flying, engines roaring, what else can be said?

War is something that happens everyday. When you're made for war you're expected to know what's gonna happen, and know what you're gonna do.

This is avenger DC-234th of the 17th squadron, ready for bombardment, requesting marking of the objective.

Understood, we'll mark it for you. Said a guard commander through the vox.

Avenger DC-234th, mark is alpha-50A, coordinates are 15-30-56.

Understood, firing.

The avengers dropped their wrath on the greenskin machine, lighting it in glorious blaze.

This is the chance we've been waiting for. GUARDSMEN CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE! Said the commissar as the men followed him.

The guard was showing their might as they ran over the enemy, shooting their lass guns and taking terrain, I was at the head, slaying orks alongside my squadron, Corscheas is the one that suffers the most, the orks have a tendency to reclaim astartes banners as trophies, the bastards always attack the less armed one first, they have no honour, they always go for the banner first, they always want the banner.

Captain, the gargant is burning down!

We are not done yet, ready another round, tell them to aim at the rest of the base!

Understood my Lord.

Keep going. They're at the last moments!

Both chapters we're fighting like one, we striked the greenskins when they expected it the least, instead of them bringing the fight, we brought the fight to them, wiping them out of the crater. Nothing left but their ashes, and the destroyed body of the gargant, this war was gonna be an absolute victory for the Imperium.

I was told that the Guardsmen were starting to call me "The warden or Ruskaria" as an alias thanks to my actions in defense of the green skins attacks.

My conversations with Governor Elquitran occurred once a week, we were either, talking about the progress on the defense, or telling our war stories, he confirmed me that he was part of the Valhallan Ice warriors in his youth, and received the planet as reward of saving an imperial fleet from destruction by fooling the enemy, making them go into a direct start. The most common theme discussed was about the facility X41 west, it was reported that the guardsmen there quite outdated equipment but what still being used, I got the understand that the reason why Monica was his most trusted one was that she once saved him from a ta'u warrior, altho hard to believe, it is also hard to believe that some ta'u engage in hand to hand combat.

It would be an honour to talk to your chapter master someday so we could end up this whole anonimatum I've been running unintentionally.

I can assure you Governor, master Sobotor would not deny said honour as well.

Please. I would not like to be dissapointed.

So tell me, Governor. Has been there any news about X41?

Yes, but too innocent for the assumption of things.

Maybe the mechanicus decided to rebuild it without notification.

No, I already made it clear to them, in my planet there are rules, and they are not and shall not be allowed to ignore them.

Quite the bravery to speak like that to them.

The mechanicus may be the ones that make our equipment, but they fall as members of the imperium.

Couldn't have said it even better.

So tell me Cralius, have you ever considered like...splitting from the Cyberium Crusaders and found your own chapter?

Well...if I'm being honest I do not consider myself worthy of such a thing. I remember well when Lilius, my chapter's founder was notified that he was granted said honour, I was jealous, because I didn't receive such glory, then after his death and the ascension of Sobotor to chapter master, I felt like I had to do something, I stood with Lilius more time than he did, I was the most experienced amongst my brothers back when we were just a squadron of Ultramarines, and then, both of them, take 2 things I've worked for my entire life, I felt anger, consuming my body, I felt...I wanted to take the throne, no matter the cost...But now I've come to realize that would mean my downfall to corruption, and taking everything I've done with them down with me as well, all because of envy.

I see, I guess even Astartes are capable of feeling.

Yes, but when you're designed for battle, our feelings are what has to be sacrificed in order to be more brutal with the enemy.

By you saying this, I now think that Astartes and Guardsmen aren't that different from one another, we both have to make sacrifices, in order to fight in the emperor's name.

I guess we are.