Chapter 3

I wake up to the sound of my maids cleaning. I sit up, and look around my now somewhat clean room. My maids rush to my side, and I get up from my bed. I get dressed into cleaner attire, and sit in a chair next to the nightstand, and open The Little Prince, the book I brought from home. I've only picked it up a few times since arriving at the palace. I was very involved in it when I heard a knock at my door.
"Come in."
I say weakly, my attention on my book. Maxon walks in with a sympathetic look on his face, and I roll my eyes. He seemed to be genuinely confused, but he didn't question my annoyance.
"Hi, Kriss."
"Greetings, Maxon."
He hesitates before sitting next to me. I scoot a little bit away from him, and he doesn't move closer.
"So, I am forced to make a decision between you and America."
"Yes, Yes."
I say mockingly. He smiles a little and continues.
"It was a very hard decision."
"Sure it was."
I mutter, still concentrating on my book. He still is oblivious.
"Kriss, you are a wonderful person. I hope you know that. You light up my day, you're polite, and just overall awesome."
I look up for a second and smirk.
"However, all good things must come to an end."
"You're calling the Selection a 'good' thing? Well it isn't for me. I met you, which is the only good thing that came out of this crap. But am I ever going to see you again? Am I ever going to meet you again? Maxon you know I loved you, I never turned you down. Yet you still choose America, who barely listens to whatever you say, and just is so ignorant."
He now knows that I know he chose America over me.
"Maybe that's why I chose her. U don't want a girl by my side, 24/7, swooning over me, taking advantage of me, and doing whatever I say."
I roll my eyes and get off my bed, trying to keep my distance from him.
"Oh you just perfectly described me."
I say sarcastically. Maxon moves closer to me, but I back up. He tries to reach out for my shoulder but I shy away. I slide towards the entrance of the room and grip the doorknob. Look behind me, I twist it and open it, revealing the only way out. As if to confirm the universe hates me, I see a small America walking down the hall. She waves, but I ignore her.
America or Maxon.
The two people I do not want to come in contact with right now.
I turn around to see Maxon coming near me, slowly advancing like a killer. I run out, storming down the stairs barefoot and out the palace into the garden.
I have to get out of here.