Chapter 9

I finished reading the Heir and it was a good book, but I'm kind of mad now. Who is with me? Well sorry I've been off a little, I'm going to get on track now.

I entered the palace, dazed at the sight. It seems even more beautiful than when I left. Maybe it was because of the wedding. The chandeliers were brighter than ever, maids and butlers rushed around with food, and everything was covered in blue and white silk cloths. Marlee lead me upstairs to the second floor, and I touched the cloths draped on the rails. I was greeted with some of the other former Selection competitors. Natalie came up to me, smiling, but her presence seemed sad.

"Hey Natalie."

"Hi!"

I looked around to see where Marlee went, but I didn't locate her.

"Where did Marlee go?"

I ask Emmica and Tuesday. Emmica replies,

"America made Marlee her adviser. Marlee is always going to be with America, and well, vice versa I guess."

She shrugs and I nod. I was a little sad because Marlee was one of my good friends in the Selection, and I didn't want to talk to America considering she won something I could have won.

The day went by abnormally, I barely saw Marlee, America and Maxon during the day. Marlee was at dinner, but Maxon and America weren't. I asked Marlee about it, and she said that it was probably because they were getting ready for the the wedding.

"It is in two days."

She finished. She went back to her food, nearly swallowing every bite she took. I played with my food, shoving it left to right, left to right. Marlee cocked an eyebrow at me, and I forced a smile.

"Anything wrong?"

"No."

"Okay then."

She finished the remainder of her food, and left the dining hall. I followed shortly after, no longer having an appetite. I sighed and headed to my room when I heard giggling outside. I hesitated, wanting to check who the giggles were coming from. I move towards the garden, and I see Maxon and America talking to each other. I knew I lost the Selection and America had won his heart, it still makes me jealous seeing them together. I walk away, towards the second floor. I hear footsteps behind me, and I see America and Maxon, once again. America waves and smiles, Maxon raises his eyebrows. I smile back trying to be warm as I can. They walk up to the third floor while I'm on the second floor. I forget that America is not a guest, but almost an official royal. I walk into my room, and it looks barren without my belongings in it. I change into my nightgown when I hear a knock on my door. I open it, and America is standing there with a flat dress.

"Oh! Sorry, I didn't know you were going to bed. I guess-"

"No, No, its completely fine."

I interrupt her. Her eyes light up, and she looks stunningly beautiful. Although she took a dream of mine, I get why Maxon picked her.

"Do you want to come take a walk with me?"

" Let me change."

She nods in approval, and I quickly change into a sea green dress that I found in the rack next to my bathroom. I walk up to America taking deep breaths. She laughs, and I echo her. America leads me down to the gardens, and two guards turn towards us.

"Why did you want to talk to me?"

I say anxiously.

"About... life."

She pauses before continuing.

" I know you loved Maxon. And I wanted to see how you were.. um.. holding up."

She stutters a little.

"It's okay. I met up with my friend and she wants to match me up with a few guys around Columbia. Did you know that guys are really into me?"

I say, jokingly. I chuckle to myself, thinking that should lighten the mood, but she looks down and bites her lip.

"So you're okay then?"

"Yeah, I guess so. My heart was a little shattered, but I decided there is more to the world than being miserable about something I can't fix. Besides, I'm sure you're going to be a great queen."

I wink, and she giggles quietly.

"I'm actually getting tired right now, I'm going to bed. Maybe we can continue this conversation tomorrow?"

"Yes, definitely."

She comes over to me and puts her hand on my shoulder.

"I'm glad you're okay."

I grin, and she puts her hand down. I wave bye to her and I leave the gardens. However, when I turned around, America was sitting on the bench, looking out towards the forest. I rush back into the palace, and accidentally run into Marlee.

"Kriss!"

"Marlee, I need to talk to you."

"Okay..."

I drag her towards my room and she gives me a look of confusion when I close the door.

"So, what wrong?"

I sigh, and take a deep breath.

"America and I had a conversation, a few minutes ago."

I proceed to tell her what I talked about with America; loving Maxon and moving on.

'I don't see the problem."

Marlee says, still looking confused.

I say two simple words that changes her confused look into a shocked one.

"I lied."