Chapter 23

I wake up to rain. Now that is something I have not heard in a long time. It's pouring, taping on the roof, and I enjoy the sound of it and the excuse to stay home. I slowly descend down the stairs slowly.
Very slowly.
Until I see Alyssa waiting for me downstairs.
"Who let you in?"
I saw groggily in a hoarse voice.
"Spare key under the plant. Stop walking like a dead zombie and pick up the pace!"
She demands.
"But zombies....are already dead...."
I point out and she rolls her eyes.
"Stop being a smart Alec and eat will you? I have plans today with you and sleepy Kriss ain't gonna spoil them. Let's have happy Kriss back."
She pushes me to the table where she had already prepared fruits for me. I push around one piece of watermelon while I stuff a strawberry in my mouth.
"I'm not very hungry."
"Well if you're not hungry you aren't complaining for the rest of the day if you do become hungry."
"Alyssa, one, that's very redundant and two, what exactly are we doing today?"
"I'm setting you up with some hot guys."
She wiggles her eyebrows and it takes all the strength in me to not poke her eyes out with the fork I'm holding.
"Nooooo..." I groan, "I'm going back to sleep. Call me when you're gone."
"No! Get off your lazy butt and do something!"
"Stop being my mom!"
We bicker like this for several minutes until I finally surrender.
"It's raining so dress cozy!"
"Oh sorry I didn't realize it was raining from all the sunshine radiating off you."
Sarcasm is dropping from my mouth.
"That better be a lapsus linguae or you're going to get an even more crammed schedule."
I attack her.
There are roars and stifled screams coming from the both of us. Once we're done, my hair is a mess, and I have Alyssa's drool all over me.
"God why do you have to spit so much?"
I ask, grabbing a towel and wiping myself off. There are a few scratches form her long nails, which are now throbbing because of the pressure applied by the towel.
Alyssa also is a mess, but she barely has any cuts because I have short stubby bitten nails. The few scratches she has are probably from herself.
Hey, what goes around comes around.
"You suck."
She exclaims.
"I'm going back home to take a shower. If you're not ready I'm dragging you out as whatever you look like!"
She calls back from her shoulder and matches out the door.
I hop into the shower and choose a shirt, jeans, a hat, and boots to wear. I take care of all my scratches and fish out my umbrella from my closet.
"I'M HERE!"
A high pitched voice screams and I wince at the pain of Alyssa's loud voice.
"You voice is low, why is your scream so high?"
"My voice ain't low sister what are you talking about? You better be ready or else."
I scribble a note to put on the counter and saunter down the stairs. Alyssa has a big fat smile on her face and I slam the note onto the counter, ignoring the pain that comes afterwards. I throw the umbrella to Alyssa and then grab my brown coat from the hanger and get ready to go out.
"It's 12:34 already."
"Too early."
"Shut up."
She nudges me out of the door and I shoot a glare at her. 
"This guy named Ashton is waiting for you. It'll be like the Selection but surrounded around you!" 
I shudder at her words and immediately feel bad for the guys.
"So, where?"
"Flatwork Park."

I'm still grumbling by the time we get to the park and I see too many people there. 
"I don't like the company."
"You mean me? I'll totally leave!"
She smirks and winks and I shoot her the look.
"You're staying."
I growl. 
"Follow."
She grips my arm hard and gets me through crowds of people.
"Hi!"
Alyssa is talking to a sandy haired, fine looking tall guy who is staring at me. I look down at my brown boots and fiddle with my fingers. I am still not in the mood to talk to guys.
"It's so different seeing you in person! You're gorgeous."
I roll my eyes and insult him in my head. He is not making a good impression.
"Um, I'm Ashton."
I jerk my head and am met with green beads. TI plaster a fake smile on my face. Alyssa nudges my back and I swear at her. 
"You're a feisty one."
He notes, and I ignore him. He clears his throat to try to overcome the awkwardness but I stand there, looking bored. 
"Well, this way I suppose."
I count to three in my head and then turn back to Alyssa.
"This is bull. I'm leaving. You can have him."
I start walking the other way but she puts her arm in front of my chest, stopping me.
"Thirty minutes."
I close my eyes and sigh, then turn back around and follow Ashton to where he was going. There's a blanket and some food laid out, but I sit on the ground next to the blanket. 
"You're here for an hour if you're not polite."
"You're not my mom."
I hiss back at her, staying put to where I'm sitting. 
I spend the next thirty minutes pretending to enjoy myself, but I just cannot get myself to like this guy. On the other hand, Alyssa is all over him and you can really tell they like each other.
"I'm heading home now."
"Okay."
Alyssa waves me off and I reply with a kick. 
"It.. it was nice... to meet you."

"Yeah you too."
I call over my shoulder before leaving. I shove my hands in my pockets and put my hood up.  I cram my head with thoughts to keep myself busy. 
"Oof."
I hit my head on something not quite hard, and I trip and fall on my knees. 
"Oh my God I am so sorry."
"Yeah, seriously watch where you're going."
I'm mostly speaking to myself, but I am in no mood to tell this -assuming- guy so. He helps me up and I brush my knees off. But then, there's a surprising reaction; he laughs. 
He laughs!
"Well Well Well it's Kriss Ambers."
I look up and there are magnificent blue eyes staring right back at me. 
"Colin?"
"Eh, it's me! And you're still cute."
I blush in what seems like the first time in forever.
"You haven't changed much since school have you?"
"Um, well I became a teacher..."
"No, you are not a teacher, you suck at teaching things!"
"Well too bad. Are you thinking of a profession?"
"An author maybe? I've always liked reading so..."
He smiles down at me. His hair isn't groomed, so I reach up and pat it. 
"You're still a little short there."
I stick my tongue out at him.
"I was going to the library. You want to join?"
He asks, and I nod. The library is a nice place to rest especially after actually waking up. 
"So Ambers, I have a question. Do you think paparazzi are just paid stalkers?"
I think about it for a second. It's a good point.
"Yeah sure. They're annoying as hell."
The rain starts pouring again.
"We're almost there, keep up."
He grabs my right arm, thank God, and I run with him to the library. 
By the time we arrive, we're drenched, but for the most part we break down laughing in front of the door.