Chapter 25

I throw my house keys on the scintillating granite counter. I storm upstairs, my legs turning into noodles every step I take. Too much exercise for one day, I think. I stand at the top stairs to catch my breath, distinctly smelling the coffee I drank for lunch. My head is pounding and I lazily walk into my room and fall face first onto my comforter. There are weird thoughts crawling into my head and weird feelings creeping into my system. I shudder, getting goosebumps and get off my bed. I take my phone and start furiously typing to Alyssa until I could barely feel my thumbs. Glancing down at my message, I notice that the last part of the message makes no sense because of autocorrect. I linger on the send button but decide not to send my well written rant. I throw my phone into the bed and open a book while looking for a chair. Each page seems like a bore, then a paragraph, then a sentence, then a word. My eyes droop down and I feel myself getting swallowed by sleep.

"KRISS!"
I jerk my head up to the loud screaming of my own name. I check the time. Quarter to six. I slam the open book closed and set it on my desk before rushing downstairs.
"You."
I snarl.
"Hold up there Kriss no need to be so passive aggressive."
Alyssa says with a smirk. I roll my eyes and sit on a nearby stool. "What do you want?" I demand, dreaming of going upstairs and reading again.
"Well. I saw you. On a date."
I narrow my eyes at her and give her my best sarcastic smile.
"No. Now bye."
"Yeah, well you might want to check your phone."
I look over to where my phone sits. I walk over and turn it on, and see that it's been blown up by texts from Colin.
Trapped.
Alyssa smirks at me and I fight a blush.
Aye
Hello?
This is Colin.
KRISS
Well whatever
I had fun today
I was wondering
If
You
Wanted
To go
On
Actually forget it
I fight a laugh at how quickly he gave up. Alyssa coughs.
"What."
I snarl, not wanting her snarky comments.
"I'm sorry Miss. Ambers, I did not mean to upset you.  Maybe you should shine more like a diamond instead of being an amber."
I give her a confused look, and completely change my expression and throw my hands up in the air, releasing my grip on the phone.
"Sh-"
"Kriss, a proper lady does not swear."
"Maybe you should've told my brain that a few years ago."
I remark, and she starts laughing like a pig. I pick up my phone and then in my eyes she does turn into a pig....
"Kriss!"
Alyssa says, wiping her eyes. "Dude, literally your eyes went up behind your eyelids. How much sleep have you been getting.... You look exhausted."
It's true. I haven't really slept at night because I've been so attached to books that I've missed reading.
"So are you guys dating or what."
I look dead into her eyes.
"You know what Alyssa?"
"What?"
I sprint out the door and run as fast as my legs can carry me.