Chapter 22

These next few chapters are going to go pretty quickly so best advice is probably keep up.... x

My sheets are on the ground, the warm sunlight hitting them. I'm changing into some of my best clothes. I want to go home. I don't care if I need professional doctors to take care of this wound, I want to, nay, I must go home. I'm wearing a lilac bejeweled dress and cover the arm up with a black cardigan. It seems like a bad idea considering that it's pretty warm out, but black complements my dress better than white so I stick with it. I go back to my bed and get my small suitcase from under my bed and throw all my belongings into it. I pick up the sheets and make my bed like a proper lady.
I pick up my suitcase and my arm also most falls off but I keep the will to not break my other one. Practically dragging my suitcase, I make my way downstairs to the main hall, where absolutely no one waits for me. I shrug to myself and saunter out the doors, with only a few people following me. This time, there is no media and no attention, which I am completely fine with. The birds chirp and the warm Angeles air caresses my skin. 
"Kriss!" I hear my name shouted from behind me and I whip my head around, and I find myself face to face with America.
"Oh. It's you." I say, mildly disappointed that Maxon isn't standing there. She ignores my disappointed tone and talks to me while catching her breath.
"I....wanted to....say thanks....for....coming to....the wedding...."
Still gulping for air, she smiles and reaches out to hug me. I huge her back but I don't grip her as hard as she is to me. She pulls back from the hug.
"Where's Maxon?" I blurt, not able to keep my thoughts in control anymore.
"Oh.. He's still asleep. I think. I could wake him up."
She offers, but I don't have the heart to tell her I really want to see him. Instead, I fake a smile and tell her she doesn't need to get him.
Internally rotten, I walk toward the car that is going to be half the trip home. I get in, and I open the window to experience the sun before being cooped up in a plane for hours. America waves and I give her a half wave. The car engine roads and we're off. I keep the palace in the corner of my eye and we turn a corner and it disappears.
---------------------
These past few hours have been Pure Hell. I can't sit still in my seat, and I am
in excruciating pain because of my arm. When we landed, surprise surprise, there was media that was not present in Angeles. People again shouted questions and congratulatory comments as if the Selection had just ended and I had won.
I wish.
I sighed and walked out of the airport which was nicely decorated for some local holiday I missed. Two escorts led me to the car that ought to drive me home.
I get home and am greeted by my supportive parents. They catch me up on what I missed (including some suitors) and they sit me down so I could eat. I gobble the food down, and it's practically gone is less than a minute.  My mom's eyes light up in delight of enjoying the food, and she serves me some more. Until I am stuffed, I eat my wits out, not worrying about Maxon or America or the Selection.
I drag my suitcase up, bruising my ankle on the way, and up to my room. I unpack everything and regret that I just threw all my belongings carelessly into the bag. I groan in frustration and give up as I dump everything from the bag onto my carpet. I search for my book and throw it on my bed and get out all my toiletries and my necessities before kicking everything to the side. Laying down in the bed, I kick my feet up and start inhaling the words on the paper.
There's a muffled sound at my door and then a knock.
"Mhm."
I say, acknowledging that they could come in.
"Honey?"
"Hi Dad."
"Was it nice to see your....friends....again?"
I nod my head and my dad looks relived that he chose the right words.
"Well, your mom and I will both be out tomorrow, possibly before you get up, so just so you know."
With that note, he leaves my room, leaving me with peace that I long yearned to have.
I read and I read until my head starts hurting, so I put the book down and decide to get ready for bed. My eyelids are heavy, and I feel woozy.
Why did I love reading so much?
After what feels like forever, I collapse on my bed and let sleep overcome me.