Chapter 21

I wake up a few days later, and my arm feels great. I feel like I can dance around the palace.
Good thought terrible idea.
No one is here to accompany me, which I don't mind at all. I lift my sore arm up to test how far I can raise my hand. My arm brushes my ear slightly before I feel immense pain. I quickly remove my right hand and my arm slumps back down next to my side. My arm is still wrapped in the the same old bandage; its beige and it's stretchy. The doctor, being extremely creative, put a safety pin to stop the bandage from unraveling. I undo the safety pin and slowly unwrap the bandage, going left and right as I get closer and closer to the wound. When the last of the bandage falls into my bedspread, there's white gauze that's blocking me from seeing the wound. I hesitate before taking it off and I look at my now open wound. It's a red gash that's been stitched together. I don't exactly remember pain of stitches, but s fat as I can tell the cut was so bad that they had to string it together. It's not even close to healing. The skin around the stitching is raw and red. I try to touch it but my courage isn't holding up very much, so I stop after lingering my finger only a few inches above the wound. I put back on the blood encrusted gauze and slowly begin to wrap the bandage again. There's a slam and loud, very loud footsteps coming towards this way, so I switch my pace to quickly wrapping the bandage again. The beige is nothing close to neat; it goes at least fifteen centimeters in both directions from the wound. The doorknob turns as I put the safety pin in and then drop dead onto my bed and closing my eyes.
"She's still asleep."
"We ought to come back later."
The two people step out of the room and quietly close the door, and as if they never were there, footsteps as quiet as a mouse. I blink my eyes open and slowly get up. I look at the terribly wrapped arm that I have, and reinsert the safety pin so it feels more comfortable. I'm too lazy to redo my bandage, so I test out my fingers. They move just fine, so I shrug to myself and convince myself it's fine. I swing my legs off the side of my bed and get out, sheets trailing behind me.