Chapter 11

A few words of advice to writers: if you don't like the book take a break and come back and read it, then see if you want to continue. I apologize for the break but I got bored with the plot and the story would've dragged on and would've been very stupid and boring so I needed a break. If this happens again I think I'll have another piece to work on so that my writers block will go away faster ;) Anyway, feedback is much appreciated! And uh hopefully no spoilers and uh I haven't read the One in a long time now so my memory of the book might be rusty and incorrect, so if you want me to fix something please mention it! This intro is really long sorry okay bye.

    I step inside the palace, knowing I needed my sleep for the big day tomorrow. I rush up to the second floor, trying to avoid anyone who comes near me. I shut the door to the room and climb into my bed, trying to hide from everyone. I want to return to my normal routine of being a shut out and talking to no one. Why do
I still have feelings for Maxon? Wait do I? My life is like a salad right now. (This reference is unexplainable I just wanted to compare something to food)
*********
I'm directed to meet America before the wedding. She still getting ready, but she looks radiant. White really matches her.
"Your Highness."
A butler says. I see America stiff a little.
I guess she isn't used to being called that.
"Oh Kriss. Hi."
Her smile is weak. Or it might just be her lipstick and lip gloss.
"AMES! Do I look okay?!"
There's a girl running up to her. She looks about fourteen or fifteen.
"You look flawless May."
"Who's this?"
"This is Kriss Ambers."
She only says my name, she never mentioned that I was competing in the Selection.
"Sorry to interrupt, can I talk to you alone for a second?"
"I kind of can't..." She trails, "I'm in a big dress..."
"I'll leave."
May suggests, and America nods.
"Come in later."
She says as May leaves.
"So what did you want me to talk about?"
I go up to her and bow first.
"Kriss, don't."
She said, kind of harshly.
"Are you mad at me or something?"
She hesitates.
"No."
"You hesitated."
"That doesn't mean anything. "
"The hell it does!"
"Look I don't want to talk about the Selection anymore."
"It's about me having feelings for Maxon!"
"Please leave me alone."
"I'm over him! Why are you so mad!"
"Just leave me alone! Do you not get that?"
She shouts. I apologize and leave. I get ready in my room, putting on my royal blue dress. My maids do my makeup and hair.
"You look amazing!"
"You might look better than the bride!"
"That's hilarious."
I mutter. I know they're just trying to make me feel better, but I'm not in the mood. There's a knock at my door. My maids answer it.
"Kriss!"
My maids call. I run to the door and see Maxon standing there.
"Why are you here?"
I ask somewhat harshly.
"I just wanted to check in to see how you were doing. You look dazzling by the way."
"Tell that to your wife."
I mutter. That was a bad idea, because he still heard me.
"I'm not allowed to see her."
Right. Great thinking Kriss. Maxon smiles awkwardly and I stand in front of him looking at my heels.
"So I'll see you later? I still need to get ready. Also I'm pretty much the only male around here so I need time away from girls until the wedding. Hopefully they don't trample me. I'm getting wed for heaven's sake!"
I laugh for the first time in what feels like forever. He leaves quietly while I shut the door. I didn't think I could stay in my room for another three hours so I wander around the palace. I run into Natalie who wasn't changed.
"Natalie! Why aren't you dressed?"
"Oh! There was a-"
She cuts herself off and gaped at me.
"Crap. Uhh I got to go? See you later."
She dashes off to the second floor. I look after her and continue my wandering. I turn around the corner to see America talking to Marlee. What's America doing here?
"-well no."
"America how'd you manage to walk?"
"Magic."
I could imagine her making a weird face.
"Where's Maxon? I really want to see him."
"You can't. Marriage rules."
"Ahhhhhhh."
"I'm watching you until your wedding. You're going to sneak off and find Maxon."
"Damn it Marlee!"
"Actually come with me."
They walk off the other way towards the Women's Room where everything  related to the wedding was happening. I follow them a little bit after, and then Marlee comes dashing.
"Hey!"
"Hey got to go take care of things. America is going to sneak off."
She said while running. I smile but I don't think she saw it. I go to the Women's Room and it's chaotic. Maids and butlers are running around trying to make everything perfect.
"Look who's here."