Chapter 6

I was looking down at my hands the whole entire time to the airport. Many reporters and cameramen were at the airport, but this time I ignored them. I didn't feel like socializing with other people.

"This way, Miss."

I looked towards the pilot, and I climbed up the stairs to the private and small plane. I sat down in the seat nearest to the front, and I looked out the window to see the blue Angeles sky. As the plane set off into the sky, I looked out the window as we ascended into some unexpected clouds. During the ride, I opened up my book that I was reading before. Still, my mind wandered off to Maxon and the Selection. There were so many unanswered questions.

Why did you choose America?

Did I do something wrong?

What's going to happen to me?

Somewhere during the ride, I fell asleep with my wandering mind. My thoughts crawled into my dreams.

*dream*

"But Maxon..."

"No."

"Please!"

I had tears in my eyes.

"No."

*end of dream*

My head jerks up so fast, I strain my neck. I look outside once again and it looks like we're descending. Eventually the clouds clear and I look down, seeing my home province and smiling.

Home sweet home.

We land at the airport, and almost immediately I hear shouts and see the flashing of cameras. People rush to my side, asking weird questions. I ignore them again, and go down to the car that is going to take me home. I practically run to the car and slam the car door as quickly as I can. The driver rushes to get out of the airport.

When I am near my house, reporters and cameramen are there again. When I get out of the car, I try to cover my face as I head to my house. Before I can knock, my mother opens the door and smiles, and shuts the door right after I get into the house.

"Kriss, dear, welcome home!"

I smile weakly. I look at my mother quizzically. Something seems to be missing from her. I quickly realize it is her necklace, the one I am wearing around my neck. I am quick to take it off, but my mother intervenes.

"Sweetie, keep it. It's yours now."

"But... but mom, you look different without it. I will get my own."

And forcefully put it in her hands. I smile again, grab my belongings and head to my room. I unpack slowly, making sure not to make a mess. Halfway through my unpacking, there's a knock on my door.

"Come in."

My father shows up, his arms opened wide and I run into his arms.

"Father!"

We make eye contact before he says,

"I'm sorry Kriss. You were so close."

"It's fine, father."

He releases me from his grasp.

"There are some suitors waiting outside for you."

"Tell them to leave. I don't want to talk to anyone else."

He looked confused, but he slowly nodded and left my room. I hear the opening of the door and a mumbling, and then someone shutting the door. I sighed, not knowing what to do. I slowly go back to my unpacking, now admiring each and every thing that is in my suitcase. When I finally finish my packing, I tuck the suitcases away in a corner, and go downstairs to my parents. My mother has started cooking supper, and my father is in his study. I wonder what had happened in Columbia since I was gone.