Chapter 17

Sorry for not updating as much! In return, today's a double (or maybe triple) update. And to my American readers, happy thanksgiving :)
I excuse myself early from the celebration and walk to my room, no longer wanting to stay around people. The small fraction of the extrovert in me is screaming to get back in there, but most of my introverted self is carrying my legs a separate way. When I get to the entrance of my room and open the door and slam it shut behind me. My maids look alarmed, but I just wave them off and they go back to what they were doing. Then they noticed that me, Kriss, their client, was in the room, they immediately went and started cleaning every single place of my room. "Stop." I mutter and they turn around and look at me confused.
"This is our job miss."
"Indeed, but it would be nice if I had space to myself without hustling and bustling."
"As you wish."
And then retreat to sitting and gossiping. Probably gossiping. That's what maids always do. Right?
"Thanks." I say, and they look up at me and nod. I go to my bed and look through my suitcase, trying to figure out what to do for the next hour. It's still 8, and I am not in the mood to sleep. I take out my book, being very classy, and start reading.
"Miss..."
"Is it possible you could call me Kriss?"
I bark, just a bit too aggressively.
"I'm sorry mi-Kriss, but would you care to tell me what you are reading?"
She piped up, in the most brittle voice ever.
"This book is Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. And please, do not fear me."
WHO HAS READ BECAUSE OF WINN DIXIE!? OR ANY KATE
DICAMILLO BOOKS?! SHES AMAZING! I know I incorporated her in a weird way but uh it's all worth it.
She relaxes a bit and takes out a post it and scribbles on it. Some maids are very educated, but some aren't. It's clear that she is. I bury my nose into my book again, looking up occasionally to look at that maid. The other two are talking, snickering, and whispering, but  she isn't doing any of that. I check the time. 8:38.
"Tempus Fugit."
I say out loud. Being a Three and my parents being professors, I know quite a lot of English, and a bit of Latin, which helps me out in my studies.
Not that it really matters.
No one cares if I'm pedantic.
I'll never find anyone who matches my personality.
Not after the Selection.
Not after Maxon.