Chapter 10

"What do you mean you lied?"

Marlee said, practically yelling at me.

"You need to tell the truth!"

"I can't. I don't want my burden to be America's."

Marlee sighed and shook her head.

"Suit yourself."

She said, somewhat harshly, and left my room. I sighed, and left my room. I looked left to right, and then proceeded to move towards the garden. I nodded towards the palace guards guarding the doors, and they nodded back. I heard a large sigh and I looked alarmingly towards the side of the castle. America was there, slouching, looking at her hands.

"You're still here?"

I ask, not trying to be too nosy.

"Yeah, Maxon wants his space."

I nod understandingly, and sit next to her.

"I lied."

I couldn't see her face, but I could feel her confusion plastered on her face.

"About being fine-"

"Yeah okay. Why?"

"I didn't want you to be upset and miserable, and thinking about me. Especially when your wedding is nearing."

"I mean, why do you still have feelings for Maxon?"

I could still sense the confusion in her voice. She also was trying very hard to hide her disappointment.

"I don't really have feelings for him, it's a long explanation."

She shrugged.

"I have time."

I started to tell her my story.

"Yes, I originally entered the Selection for the Northern Rebels, but I fell in love with Maxon. Especially after Marlee's caning. Anyway, I made a big show when Maxon told me he chose you because I saw your proposal. When he told me, there were so many flashbacks back to that moment."

In the moonlight, America looked mortified. I continued, pretending to not see her expression.

"I went home to Columbia and I was pretty much a shut-out. I felt like there was something wrong with me. When I went out, I met my friend, and she gave me a little bit of hope. I didn't necessarily stop being a shut-out, but I started talking to people more. I shoved the thoughts of Maxon to the back of my head and heart. Then, I got the invitation for the wedding, and the thoughts of him started submerging. So when I came here, I was surrounded by thoughts of Maxon in my head."

"It hurts, America. But I can handle it."

I concluded, nearly crying. I put my finger to my eye, trying to clear tears from my eyes. She looked like she was punched in the stomach.

"I have... no words."

America looked brainwashed, and her face was a white-blue color. It wasn't obvious just by taking a look at her, but when you stare at her the color is very prominent.

"I have to go."

She stood up and left, nearly running inside the palace. I spent a little more time to myself before going inside.